The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, mick53), 123 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,262
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#943896 05/17/2013 6:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 163
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 163
My 46 is running and driving good with exception of shifting. Orginally I thought it was operator error, but after a few days of grinding the transmission I've determined it is a tranmission problem. I've also never had problems driving a 52 2ton with the same transmission or a 33 1.5ton. Hopefully the clutch just needs and adjustment. It feels fine pushing on it and it isn't slipping. Shifting up from 1st through 4th is fine. But trying to get it back into 2nd or 1st while (or any other gear) stopped doesn't work. I have to jamb it into gear, with that comes a lovely grinding noise. What is the clutch adjustment process.

I didn't see anything on tech tips.


Jason
1946 GMC COE
1967 Pontiac Lemans Convertible

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/jrpontiac/library/?sort=3&page=1
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
Jason, your post reminded me of when I first got my truck on the road. I thought my tranny was bad but it turned out it was the driver. Not saying you may not have a problem since it sounds like you have experience shifting these transmissions. Anyway, here's my thread from long ago......

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...amp;Main=4650&Number=29017#Post29017

I did eventually get the hang of it!

Last edited by Bill Marlow; 05/17/2013 8:43 PM.

~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Hi,Jrpontiac!! Since it sounds like you're having the most trouble gettin' "her" back in gear at a stop,then it sounds like your clutch is slightly engaged. There should be a threaded rod,connecting your linkage to the clutch-fork. Depending on whether it's "Stock",or not,it may require an over-nite soak with your favorite penetrating fluid. The nut should be 9/16,and mine is double-nutted,to prevent it from loosening on its own. Loosen the outer nut first,just turn it counter-clockwise a couple of grooves,then spin the second nut flush. Make sure the washer,(on the back,-Bell-Housing side of the clutch-fork), isn't frozen to the shaft,otherwise,you won't be able to get it to adjust. There should be a nut on the shaft,on the Bell-Housing side,(Toward engine) of the clutch-fork,as well. Turn that one CLOCKWISE,until it sandwiches the washer between the nuts. Keep adjusting until you're able to shift into gear,without grinding,and make sure clutch doesn't slip,when you engage it. You should end up with about 1/4-1/2" free-play,in your pedal. Hope this helps.

Last edited by wetwilly5757; 05/17/2013 9:44 PM.

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0