The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hotrod Lincoln), 75 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,376
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
51 Deluxe, Powerglide 235, 37k miles. Pulled the head to freshen up vaves and seals, pulled the original cast iron pistons out, looking to replace them with aluminum pistons. Cylinder bore is .003 over with less than .005 taper. I called Egge and asked them what they suggest for piston to cylinder wall clearance on their pistons and they told me .0025 to.003. This would put me at.006 piston to cylinder wall clearance with the new pistons. I really don't have the time to yank the engine and do a complete overhaul, so my question is Would ya run it?

Last edited by Bolter2; 05/13/2013 8:05 PM.


Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I would put the aluminum pistons in.
It may be a little noisy until the pistons warm up but I think you will be happy.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
Thanks for the input Dave, I respect your opinion



Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
I would put the aluminum pistons in.
It may be a little noisy until the pistons warm up but I think you will be happy.

Knurled the pistons to tighten the clearance up. You are right Dave, I'm very happy with the way it runs



Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Glad to hear it worked out!


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0