Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,306 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 3 | This is my first post, mostly because I've been able to get my questions answered up to this point by searching old posts. I just got my 54 3100 with original 235 back from a complete engine rebuild and noticed it was leaking coolant below the plug on the 3rd cylinder. The shop tells me it has a small pinhole leak in the head which was not discovered when it was magnifluxed. There is no issue without the way it runs (perfect) but I obviously don't want to live with it. Could I just clean it and use JB weld to seal it ? Thanks, Richard | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | Welcome What does the shop recommend? If the shop was the one that magnafluxed the head and did the rebuild, I would think that they would be the one to repair it. There is a way to STITCH WELD a small crack, but I have never done that. You can also find another clean head and have the shop rebuild it using the old parts. I am sure there are other ideas and others may follow. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Drain the block and try JB, nothing to loose.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 3 | Thanks for the feedback I'm going to try Blue Devil gasket and head sealer and then the JB Weld and hope for the best. I can always start over and get another head.. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 2 | With out seeing where it is at, I have repaired pinhole leaks in engine blocks by drilling, threading and installing a allen head set screw. Keeping it as small as possible to obtain threads. Seal the set screw. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | just have to wonder what else they missed in their magnaflux? I'm not so sure I would want that shop to do any more work for me. I'm not certain of the condition of your head, but often pinhole leaks come from severe rusting on the OTHER side of whatever has the pinhole leak. (I used to work on ships, I have seen a lot of rust, not real romantic I know, but hey....)fortunately these heads aren't really hard to come by. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | There also are additives that go in the coolant to seal small water leaks. I used something like this years back on a GMC that leaked and it worked good as a temporary fix. Sorry don't remember the name of this product, check with local auto parts stores.
Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 05/09/2013 10:00 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 | Mine is in the machine shop right now. I'm having mine welded up, new guides and a three angle valve guide/replacing the springs too. 1953 Chevrolet 3100261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY GalleryVideo of the 261 running1964 GMC 1000305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | Welcome,rknuttall! Years back,a girl brought her car into the shop,(in the dead of Winter),complaining that her engine was leaking antifreeze. Come to find out,she was too cheap to buy anti-freeze,and the block had a 5-inch-long crack,about 1/16-inch,at the widest point. I took a rat-tail file,and cleaned the crack good,(Now they have "Dremels":))and then went over the area with a magnet,to lift as much of the shavings that I could,out of the damaged area. I applied a bead of "J.B Weld" to the crack,and kneaded it into the length of the crack,and then applied a second bead on top of the first one and kneaded them both together. I then applied a "trouble" light,(with a 60-watt bulb),(Heat Source),as close to the repair as I could,to help the bond cure, over-night. She drove the car another three years,until the tranny "crapped". The engine didn't leak a drop after the "J.B." fix. I'd give that a try,first. I've also had great results with the "Allen-screw fix",just a little more work,but not too complicated. Good-luck!
Last edited by wetwilly5757; 05/10/2013 1:31 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 3 | Thanks everyone for all the great input, I used the "Blue Devil Head Gasket Repair" and it seems to have worked. I will add the JB Weld as well. The set screw fix will be the next solution if it starts to leak again. | | |
| |