The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gib70, Gray_Ghost, 55shaker, 1 invisible), 60 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,695
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#931976 03/31/2013 8:10 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
I recently acquired a 68 GMC half ton. The rear brake drums are shot. My local auto parts stores keep trying to sell me the wrong brake drums.

Mine are 3.5" deep, the ones available are 3.0" deep.

Anyone know where I can get two of the deep style drums? Napa, O'Reilly and Pep Boys all come up with the wrong ones.

Thanks in advance, I am in Los Angeles, California

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....are you sure no one has previously changed the rear end on your truck?
Can you find some numbers on the differential and let us help you identify just what you have?

Welcome to the Stovebolt. You will find many bolters in Ca. and maybe in your area.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Kit Maira, welcome, could you give us a bit more information please, inside diameter of brake drum, width of brake lining, and number of studs that hold the wheels on?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
GMC's used Spicer rear ends and the drums have an offset on the face.
To my knowledge the drums are not available.
You may want to change to a Chev rear end.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
3B #932009 03/31/2013 10:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
They are 11 inch in diameter, the linings look to be 2 inch and there are 6 lugs.
Thanks,

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Thanks. I hope that is not the case. Perhaps there are some used drums out there. I would hate to have to change out the rear end a week after I bought the truck. It's a leaf spring Dana rear end.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 35
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 35
If its a Dana axle its likely that the brakes are Bendix.
I've not done any research but you could look at 70's Wagoneer's and 1/2 Jeep trucks which would also be 6 lug.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Thanks. I had the day off today, (Easter Monday) so I drove around to all the junkyards in the area. No luck there, but Valley Friction Materials in North Hollywood just called me back. They may have located a pair in Wilmington. If all goes well, I should have them by Wednesday. Thanks to the folks who answered my post, good to know there is a community looking out for me.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
Check with Early Classic Enterprises http://www.earlyclassic.com.
You may have the heavy duty rear brake option on your truck. They will know about it as they sell a kit (including the drums) that allows one to upgrade standard duty brakes.

regards,
Leon

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
Does this look like the right one?
Or this one maybe?

Last edited by jmoore; 04/02/2013 9:25 PM.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Those are both the 3" high drums. Mine is 3.5". I was able to locate one NOS drum through Valley Friction Materials. I will probably use my old scored drum temporarily until I find another. So... I'm still looking.

Thanks,

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
I spoke with them, was told that they didn't have anything for the Dana rear end. Thanks,


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0