The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hugh63c10), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#931847 03/31/2013 10:13 AM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
We ordered a 8 lug (6 1/2 on 8) 16x7 lug steel wheel from Wheel Vintiques to see if it would fit on the old 3/4 ton. I think we're good to go! We're hoping to mount up a 235/85r16 later today and test that fit too.

Here are some pics in case anyone is curious:
Wheel
Mounted
Tie Rod Clearance
Tie Rod Clearance

Last edited by JungleJames; 03/31/2013 10:16 AM.
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Looking good. We have about the same set up. I have a 1950 3600. I used trailer wheels (16 inch, 8 lug) from Dexstar made in USA. Powder coated and 3 inch offset so fit great. I used the same size tires as you (cooper, made in USA)

You should find some pics of my set up in my album (under my sig below...)

I'm just starting on body and paint now.



Last edited by cletis; 03/31/2013 11:04 AM. Reason: deleted personal message

David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
Impressive progress on your bolt, thanks for sharing.

We're in the process of getting it safely down the road and fixing what needs fixing.

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Do you have a picture of the truck with the wheels on it now?

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
Still working on the full set. We'll post up some pictures in a month or 2.

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
We finally got all 4 wheels and mounted the radial tires. Unfortunately, the Wheel Vintique chrome half moon hub caps don't fit, the front and rear hubs stick out to far. We'll have to figure out what to do for caps. The tires are pretty tall as well. We have slight rubbing on the left side.

Tires are: BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A

Front Pic
Rear Pic
Front Wheel
Rear Wheel
Side Pic

Enjoy!

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
So, Wheel Vintiques doesn't have a hubcap solution.

We want to use some sort of cap. Does anyone have any ideas? I've read about some folks welding on the factory hubcap tabs.

Hummm

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I have 8 lug Ford Econoline rims on my 53 as these were the only rims I have found that will allow for the stock Chevy caps to fit the center. I screwed on the aftermarket clips sold by Chevs of the 40s and they hold the caps just fine.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
Thanks Jim, that is one of the more appealing suggestions I've gotten.

We're really enjoying the radials! I'll post up more pictures when we decide on a solution.

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 28
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 28
I ordered,the dexstar eight lug wheels for my truck, 16x 6, and I'm now fastening the clips on, but my clips aren't catching the lip on my hubcap. I got these clips from Chevys of the forties, but it's been several years ago. Are there different sized clips available?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Just an FYI, 1990's Suburban wheels will accept the factory caps perfectly. I bought my clips from ClassicParts. The rears bolt right up the fronts of course have to be modified as discussed here many times.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129180933/in/set-72157631867396207


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0