The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Harmon Hodge), 113 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#927968 03/16/2013 3:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Took my inside door trim off to replace window glass today. The mechanisms all look decent and will just need a cleaning, paint, and grease. As expected the felt channel, rubber weatherstripping at the horizontal, and setting tape are needed.

What I thought was sound but was not is the window setting channel. The interior is rotted through and so far I haven't been able to locate anyone that replicates these. This is the horizontal metal track for the window regulator and the support for the bottom of the window. It looks simple enough to duplicate if I had access to a metal break and a spot welder.

So where do I get this piece or do I have a shop fab one or two? Also what's the best place to get all the new rubber and channel that is needed? The Chevy specific shops seem overpriced and this stuff looks pretty common stuff. Thanks, Kyle


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Steele Rubber is the best quality.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I bought new ones from chevys of the 40's. They had them with and without the 1/4 by 1/4 sq tab at each end for the top window channel. I also made rollers instead of the sliders that ride in the channel.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
GWWirth, thanks for the tip. I saw your picture of your rollers. Do you happen to recollect the parts you used to make it? On mine I had to drill out a recessed brass fitting to release the screw on either end of the square tab you mentioned. Do you remember what you used to replace that? I believe it needs to be flush or it will catch.


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I also had to drill mine out. You can buy new ones from one of parts places. Jim Carters? I'll see if I can fine them. Mine is not back together yet. I know I saw them in one of the parts catalogs.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Just noticed that besides the glass setting tape there is a 1/2" wide piece of foam rubber encased in cloth that sits in the groove underneath the glass. I noticed the vendors don't appear to make mention of this item. I'd imagine I could match some window/door seals at Lowes. Also what should I use between the horizontal stiffners and the outer sheetmetal. Originally it was a tar/foam substance. Would spray foam do the trick or is there an original item I should look for?


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
My windows did not have the cloth/foam strip in the channel? I did not remove the foam between the door skin and stiffiner on my truck as it still appears to be fine. It is very dense material. If you have a farm supply store near you, you can get stall/horse trailer mat material in various thicknesses that would work well. I was thinking of filling the channel with silicone to prevent rust out in the future.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
I was thinking on the same lines of filling the deep recesses in the frame and channel with silicone. I did find that Chevs of the 40's sells the screws and channel steel. Couldn't find it elsewhere.

I've been shopping the window channel or "cat whiskers". I noticed that my truck came with a beaded stainless edge that I was only able to find through Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc. Anyone ever dealt with them? They seem to have every product imaginable at a good rate. They also sell a felt strip which I think is what I've tried to describe earlier. This is on page 37 of their catalog along with the setting tape. The next page shows glass setting channel which resembles what I took off my window rather than tape. I'll have to break out the parts book and see what came standard back in the day.

Last edited by 641Workmaster; 03/17/2013 8:21 PM.

1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I found sholder bronze bushings with the correct ID diameter. I turned down the sholder until it just fit in the track, I don't have a lathe so I used my drill press and a file. Then I used a socket head shoulder bolt. I ground the head on the bolt down until it would fit into the track. I added a nylon washer just incase the track rubs on the arms. I lockited a nut on the threads of the shoulder bolt. I have not installed it but it works fine on the bench.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Well I'm back working on the windows again. Since the last time here, my Jeep window failed as well as my Model TT window "mechanisms". I've got glass and new channels on the way. Also been reading up on the weatherstripping.

Steeles has some great stuff but too much for my twenty footer. Someone said Chevs of the Forties had the best quality kit from the usual old Chevy vendors. Problem is there is no description of what comes in the kit or pictures of the product to boot. I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has used them. Basically looking for wipes, setting tape, and 1pc channel.


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0