Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
117
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#92786 08/28/2005 2:33 AM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | Hello,
I have 1952 1 ton (6V) and the battery box is currently under the hood. I know it should be under the pass side floor. I need help figuring out where to hook up the battery cables. There are no cables on it since I just bought it. This is my first old truck so I am running blind. My Dad has a bunch of books but they are packed up and I probably won't get them mailed to me until Christmas! So any help here is appreciated. Thanks
Darren | | |
#92787 08/28/2005 2:52 AM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Chevy = negative post to the firewall, frame, or a bolt on the bellhousing, also a ground strap from the firewall to the frame and/or bellhousing [works best if all 3 are well grounded together] - positive post to the big post on the starter - should work for the basic functions if everything else is wired reasonably right
Bill | | |
#92788 08/28/2005 3:18 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Be sure to get big fat cables for your 6 volt system, not the skinny modern type. If your local auto parts dealer doesn't carry them your local tractor dealer does. If you can get straps for the ground instead of cables. | | |
#92789 08/28/2005 7:09 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | Originally posted by cletis: Be sure to get big fat cables for your 6 volt system, not the skinny modern type. If your local auto parts dealer doesn't carry them your local tractor dealer does. If you can get straps for the ground instead of cables. I have two gauge on mine. Larger works well to. (0/00) | | |
#92790 08/28/2005 12:55 PM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 314 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 314 | Welding leads make excellent cables for six volt systems. | | |
#92791 08/28/2005 3:22 PM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | Thanks for the replies. I will post back if I run into trouble.
Darren | | |
#92792 08/31/2005 1:30 AM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | Hello,
OK, I got the cable but forgive me for being dense but I have no clue what I am doing. I have two wires to hook up. One coming off one contact from the coil (The other wire on the coil comes from the distributer). I assume this wire has to connect to the starter. I also have to connect the positive battery cable to the starter as well. IN the image I have three points marked. Which ones need wires connected to them. The one marked "A" is a large brass looking bolt. I can't seems to loosen it off. My Dad thinks I have to attach both the coil wire and the battery lead to it. Help! [img]http://www.mlsd66.ca/~dforbes/starter.jpg[/img] Darren | | |
#92793 08/31/2005 3:30 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | You are missing your starter switch. "A" is where the switch should make contact and it will be covered by the switch when it is installed. "B" and "C" are the screws that hold the switch in place. There will be a large terminal on the switch for the positive cable. (if this is a GMC make that negative cable)
Another wire(10 guage) will run from there to your amp guage. The wire from the coil should run to your ignition switch. | | |
#92794 08/31/2005 4:21 AM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | MMM, Starter Switch eh? The wire from the coil should run to the Igintion Switch? It has an "O" end on it as though it should be screwed down to something. I will have to find this starter switch first. Thanks. I will be posting again for advice.
Darren | | |
#92795 08/31/2005 4:44 AM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | OK,
I understand the starter Switch to be that knob on the floor. When I push it it is connected to a rod that moves a lever on the starter. Do you mean the Solenoid? Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like. I am a retard. I am guessing here.
Darren | | |
#92796 08/31/2005 7:00 AM | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 452 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 452 | Here\'s a picture of the starter switch. The lever on the starter also pushes the button on this switch. The button makes electrical contact with that copper nub (A) on the starter. Here\'s a wiring diagram (a PDF file) for a '54 truck, which is pretty much the same as the '52. Just ignore the right drive (RD) starter with solenoid and dash push button shown in the diagram.
Curt ---- 1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan --"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
| | |
#92797 08/31/2005 1:32 PM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | Thanks alot Curt,
I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Darren | | |
| |