The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hanks custodian), 264 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92786 08/28/2005 2:33 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
Hello,

I have 1952 1 ton (6V) and the battery box is currently under the hood. I know it should be under the pass side floor. I need help figuring out where to hook up the battery cables. There are no cables on it since I just bought it. This is my first old truck so I am running blind. My Dad has a bunch of books but they are packed up and I probably won't get them mailed to me until Christmas! So any help here is appreciated. Thanks

Darren

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Chevy = negative post to the firewall, frame, or a bolt on the bellhousing, also a ground strap from the firewall to the frame and/or bellhousing [works best if all 3 are well grounded together] - positive post to the big post on the starter - should work for the basic functions if everything else is wired reasonably right

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Be sure to get big fat cables for your 6 volt system, not the skinny modern type. If your local auto parts dealer doesn't carry them your local tractor dealer does. If you can get straps for the ground instead of cables.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Quote
Originally posted by cletis:
Be sure to get big fat cables for your 6 volt system, not the skinny modern type. If your local auto parts dealer doesn't carry them your local tractor dealer does. If you can get straps for the ground instead of cables.
I have two gauge on mine. Larger works well to. (0/00)


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
Welding leads make excellent cables for six volt systems.


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
Thanks for the replies. I will post back if I run into trouble.

Darren

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
Hello,

OK, I got the cable but forgive me for being dense but I have no clue what I am doing. I have two wires to hook up. One coming off one contact from the coil (The other wire on the coil comes from the distributer). I assume this wire has to connect to the starter. I also have to connect the positive battery cable to the starter as well. IN the image I have three points marked. Which ones need wires connected to them. The one marked "A" is a large brass looking bolt. I can't seems to loosen it off. My Dad thinks I have to attach both the coil wire and the battery lead to it. Help!
[img]http://www.mlsd66.ca/~dforbes/starter.jpg[/img]
Darren

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
You are missing your starter switch. "A" is where the switch should make contact and it will be covered by the switch when it is installed. "B" and "C" are the screws that hold the switch in place. There will be a large terminal on the switch for the positive cable. (if this is a GMC make that negative cable)

Another wire(10 guage) will run from there to your amp guage. The wire from the coil should run to your ignition switch.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
MMM, Starter Switch eh? The wire from the coil should run to the Igintion Switch? It has an "O" end on it as though it should be screwed down to something. I will have to find this starter switch first. Thanks. I will be posting again for advice.

Darren

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
OK,

I understand the starter Switch to be that knob on the floor. When I push it it is connected to a rod that moves a lever on the starter. Do you mean the Solenoid? Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like. I am a retard. I am guessing here.

Darren

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
Here\'s a picture of the starter switch. The lever on the starter also pushes the button on this switch. The button makes electrical contact with that copper nub (A) on the starter.

Here\'s a wiring diagram (a PDF file) for a '54 truck, which is pretty much the same as the '52. Just ignore the right drive (RD) starter with solenoid and dash push button shown in the diagram.


Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 23
Thanks alot Curt,

I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Darren


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0