I have been working on a chevy sedan from 41 with a 216, tinkering over the course of many years. The last few years it has been running well but using lots of oil. I had it shipped to Sweden last fall and drove it home from the harbor about 80 miles. It ran great but used about 5 quarts of oil.
So now it has new rings, cleaned up cylinders, slightly tightened bearings, and it is all back together again and lo and behold no more blue smoke. When it gets up to about 45 and is pulling up a hill the motor really looses its gumption. So here come some questions, mainly related to the Carter carb which has been thoroughly rebuilt to my own slapdash standards:
From the pictures in the shop manual it seems that the accelerator pump does not squirt into the main throttle body, so one cannot expect to do the normal visual check. Is this right? Is there some other simple test procedure for the accelerator pump?
Next question: the throttle connector rod runs both the metering rod and the accelerator pump. When I picked up the car last fall at the harbor that connector linkage was resting against one of the three screws that holds the upper carb housing to the main housing, preventing the throttle from returning to idle. In order to get the car home I took off the linkage and bent it until the idle would return to normal. Driving it home it ran great, but now I see that there is a particular adjustment for that linkage, with a particular metering rod guage according to the manual. Is this something one can make? If so, can anyone send send me the necessary measurements?
I also suspect that the timing may not be professionally adjusted. I have always used the "by guess and by golly" method of timing with great success. Would either advanced or retarded timing cause hesitation at higher speeds? The fuel pump seems to be fine, it is fairly new.
Appreciate the help.
Karl