Mark is a little vague as to what specific engine or carburetor
he's refering to.
But, I not sure if all that's been said is true guys. At least
not in my case. I've been using a Carter W-1 that I salvaged
out out a junk yard about five years ago:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/148858637As you can see, left unpainted the cast iron doesn't fair to
well. So this is the rebuilt W-1 painted with Rustoleum which
has held up to repeated drips from our 10% blended gas here in
Illinois:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/112012157 Granted I would not paint the die cast parts, brass parts. How
ever, the parts that were originallly plated with a sacraficial
cad plating are usually depleted and showing rust and can be
painted, again, with Rustoleum. I use silver for those parts
and unless you are soaking them in fuel, it seems to hold up
just fine.
I doubt if I would ever use it, but I might add that Eastwood
does sell a paint for carburetors that simulates the gold
iridited finish on the die castings of a new carburetor. But it
is after all paint, and paint usually doesn't like die
castings.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL