| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible),
136
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,266 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#91999 09/05/2004 3:07 AM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 141 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 141 | After reading several older threads I think I need to install an ignition resistor between ignition and coil, but what do the experts think?
My setup is: '52 1/2 ton '62 261 12V Alternator HEI distributor from Tom Langdon 12V coil from Tom Langdon Foot starter with original 6V starter
My conclusion is that I might be able to operate ok without the resistor, but being the conservative that I am, it wouldn't hurt to install it. Appreciate your thoughts.
shoeless | | |
#92000 09/05/2004 3:39 AM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 | I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure you will need a ballast resistor. You might check your coil box and see if its marked if a resistor is required. I had bought one that already had it intergreated into the coil. | | |
#92001 09/05/2004 5:41 AM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 336 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 336 | You have an HEI distributor - electronic ignition. No ballast resistor needed or wanted!
Ballast resistors are for 12 volt ignitions with contact points.
Gord 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
| | |
#92002 08/11/2006 1:16 AM | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 | I have a 46 and converting to 12 volt (battery, alt, and HEI distributor (via Tech pages). Any major wiring concens, considerations, or digressions from the norm? Cavebull | | |
#92003 08/11/2006 1:30 AM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | cavebull, WOW, hooking onto a two year old thread..I thought my eyes went nuts. I guess I would say there are no major concerns if you know what you are doing and can do it. If you have indeed studied the Tech Tips on this subject, and maybe done a search in this forum on the changeover, it should be straight forward. Remember, you can start a new thread by clicking on the "Post New Topic" button. Stuart | | |
#92004 08/11/2006 2:18 AM | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 | Automarc, I know it is an old thread just wanted someone to know I am in deed searching out a subject before porting, ha! | | |
#92005 08/11/2006 6:24 AM | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,441 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,441 | when converting to HEI from a points distributor, you should replace the power wire with a non-resistor wire.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | |
| |
| |