The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
After reading several older threads I think I need to install an ignition resistor between ignition and coil, but what do the experts think?

My setup is:
'52 1/2 ton
'62 261
12V Alternator
HEI distributor from Tom Langdon
12V coil from Tom Langdon
Foot starter with original 6V starter

My conclusion is that I might be able to operate ok without the resistor, but being the conservative that I am, it wouldn't hurt to install it. Appreciate your thoughts.

shoeless

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure you
will need a ballast resistor. You might check
your coil box and see if its marked if a
resistor is required. I had bought one that
already had it intergreated into the coil.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
You have an HEI distributor - electronic ignition. No ballast resistor needed or wanted!

Ballast resistors are for 12 volt ignitions with contact points.


Gord
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
I have a 46 and converting to 12 volt (battery, alt, and HEI distributor (via Tech pages). Any major wiring concens, considerations, or digressions from the norm?
Cavebull


cavebull
Stovebolts - so easy even a Cavebull can do it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodsonbrett/collections
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
cavebull,

WOW, hooking onto a two year old thread..I thought my eyes went nuts. smile

I guess I would say there are no major concerns if you know what you are doing and can do it.

If you have indeed studied the Tech Tips on this subject, and maybe done a search in this forum on the changeover, it should be straight forward.

Remember, you can start a new thread by clicking on the "Post New Topic" button.

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
Automarc,
I know it is an old thread just wanted someone to know I am in deed searching out a subject before porting, ha!


cavebull
Stovebolts - so easy even a Cavebull can do it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodsonbrett/collections
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
when converting to HEI from a points distributor, you should replace the power wire with a non-resistor wire.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0