The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (JW51, 49choptop, Patina 54), 210 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
I converted to 12V a few weeks ago as part of the rebuild of my '52. I just got around to troubleshooting my horn and have made an interesting discovery. The horn would work for about 2 to 4 honks of 1 second each, then stop working. I traced the problem to the little cylinder that goes between the horn backing ring and the steering column. That piece has a spring inside to keep contact with the 2 locations mentioned above. The spring would get too hot and loose it's "spring" and collapse! The '52 did not use a relay and apparently 6 volts was OK, but not 12. Looks like I'll be rigging up a relay operation.

shoeless

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Shoeless, I may be wrong, but i always thought the 6v spring looked to be about the same size as the later 12v springs. Maybe one of those would get you going again. The relay isn't a bad idea, either.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Wire a relay in it. There is to much curent for the horn button. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
Installed a relay today from Radio Shack that isolates the coil from the relay contacts. That was good medicine!

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 44
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 44
I guess I'll have to do the same or does the resistor between the ignition coil and ignition make up for the relay?

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by crow:
I guess I'll have to do the same or does the resistor between the ignition coil and ignition make up for the relay?
No that resistor has nothing to do with the horn or lights or such. The resister limits current across the points. Otherwise the current will quickly burn the points.

If you don't have a horn relay you need one.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
he's right. do the relay. it's easy wiring. a couple of bucks at the auto parts.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Yet I'm still running my old 6 volt horn system on 12 volts with no problems. Going on 5 years and 20,000 miles now.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0