The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (1955 1 Series, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 125 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
So I just can't get my Hydraulic Lifter issue under control. The rebuilt ( NOT! ) engine I bought had used lifters in it, they would start out nice and quiet and then start to tick when warmed up. So I bought a complete set of new lifters,installed and adjusted. They start out noisy and after 10min of driving they quiet down and will stay quiet. This is everytime I cold start the engine, when restarting after warmed up they stay quiet, but after sitting overnight, BAM, noisy. I'm using a straight 30wt, an old timer says that's my problem, " oils to thick, need a multiweight in there ". Is this true? Could this be my issue?? I would LOVE to remove these hydraulic lifters and pushrods and install a solid lifter/pushrod setup, but I know I can't, I'm stuck with what I bought :mad:

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy AZ59apacheguy, the 30wt. oil would not be the problem, how is your oil pressure? Usually once a lifter is full of oil they don't usually leak back down, could there be an internal oil delivery blockage in the block? What engine are we talking about?

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry, it's a 235. Oil pressure upon start up is above 30lbs and will stay there untill the oil warms up and thins a little.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Lifters that are noisy on start up, then quiet down when they warm up, will usually quiet down after they wear in.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
I have similar circumstance occurring. 62, 283 in my case. How do I diagnose oil pressure, or oil delivery problems? I don't have a pressure gauge. Only a warning light in cab.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
How do you have them adjusted?

zero lash
1/2 turn down
3/4 turn down
1 turn down

Try to adjust one with the engine running, tighten it till the engine misses (holds valve open) then loosen till the rocker arm ticks. This will give you a idea of how much internal travel the lifter has. I would stay on the deep side of the travel range.

Joe

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by Joe H
How do you have them adjusted?

zero lash
1/2 turn down
3/4 turn down
1 turn down

Try to adjust one with the engine running, tighten it till the engine misses (holds valve open) then loosen till the rocker arm ticks. This will give you a idea of how much internal travel the lifter has. I would stay on the deep side of the travel range.
Joe


This is what I ended up doing, so far they are a quiet. They were even quiet upon start up. We'll see they sound after a long drive. I'll let ya know this weekend.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Here's a thread to a tech tip by Tom Langdon re. these noisy lifter. Appears to be very common problem. Best of luck

http://stoveboltengineco.com/2002/04/noisy-lifters/


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by AZ59apacheguy
[quote=Joe H]
This is what I ended up doing, so far they are a quiet. They were even quiet upon start up. We'll see they sound after a long drive. I'll let ya know this weekend.
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
Lifters that are noisy on start up, then quiet down when they warm up, will usually quiet down after they wear in.

Well, they are still noisy. I guess I'll keep driving and see if they break in and get quiet like someone else stated earlier in this thread


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0