The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (lumbersawyer, 78buckshot), 167 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,474
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 22
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 22
I have a '56 235 with a short water pump, but have only 1" from the pump nose to the radiator. The pusher fans installed are not cooling enough in 50 deg. weather. I have a 185 thermostat and it is working. The engine is a fresh rebuild, and has only run about 2 hours. I have a new aluminum radiator from Champion, made for the straight six, however, there are tranny oil cooler ports at the bottom, that makes me thinks it is a universal (6 or 8). The radiator is installed at the back or the radiator support, and there doesn't seem to be a more forward set location available. How can I possibly install a fan and clutch, for a 235 engine that has been installed in the original mount location?

Wes

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I don't think a 235 ever came with a fan clutch. Are you driving down the road and getting hot or sitting still and having cooling problems?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
A fresh rebuild will have more friction and tend to run hotter.

Make sure you have it timing advanced enough.

When you say short shaft I assume you mean a modified long shaft pump. They can work OK but are not the best for cooling.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
...I assume you mean a modified long shaft pump. They can work OK but are not the best for cooling.
I'll second that. I ran a short pump in my 1 ton for years and it was just marginally OK at cooling.
Had I known then about the water pump adapter plate I would have used one then and recommend that you use one now.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0