Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (RLB, Gdads51, Joe H),
153
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,091 Posts1,056,390 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | I have an appt with DMV tomorrow AM and was wondering if they will require me to have this 49 3100 inspected. I had a Korean War jeep once and no one ever even looked at it. I'm hoping the same is true here. Thanks in advance for a tip on this  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | SEMA SAN Resources Titling and Legislation Tag & Title Toolbox Click on California. It's a good place to start. If you need more information, get an attorney and consult local in State car/truck clubs. Good luck, -W | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | There is no safety inspection requirement in CA. Smog inspection is required on 76 up vehicles. If you have current registration in another state you should have no problem. If you have a paperwork jumble or bill of sale it will probably require a VIN check by the CHP or other Police agency. If this is the case you can expect 2 trips. Beleive it or not they are getting better. I breezed right through last summer to register a 47 Willys I bought. It had a non-op and a good title. Sometimes it depends on which office you pick. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | Thanks for that. There are 58 pages of Kalif regs....I think I found my answer on pg 43. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | There is no safety inspection requirement in CA. Smog inspection is required on 76 up vehicles. If you have current registration in another state you should have no problem. If you have a paperwork jumble or bill of sale it will probably require a VIN check by the CHP or other Police agency. If this is the case you can expect 2 trips. Beleive it or not they are getting better. I breezed right through last summer to register a 47 Willys I bought. It had a non-op and a good title. Sometimes it depends on which office you pick.
Fred Thanks Fred. That's what I had thought but was not sure. I do have the paperwork and a Bill of Sale too, but the old title from Georgia should do the trick.. I had that Korean War M-38 Army Jeep a few years back and that was not even a problem.. Mark | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Just curious what your Georgia title used for a vin number? Engine number, door post number, assigned number.
Check your 58 pages of regs and see if you need a vin inspection before you register it in California.
Good luck | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 9 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 9 | Hello- if it is a out of state title you will have to get a vin inspection to register it in calif
1948 GMC Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 | If it is from out of state you may also need to get it weighed. My brother-in-law moved here from MN a few years ago and when he tried to reg his F150 they made him get a certified weight from a commercial scale. You for sure will need evidence of liability insurance. Good luck, I am registering my 49 that I have had non-oped for the last 17 years tomorrow. I have an appt with my Insurance co in the morning and the afternoon will be at DMV. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 |  Took me 15 mins with my insurance agent and 10 mins with the DMV to get my new tags. Thank God for DMV's appointment system. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | DMV is always an adventure. I had an appt but still waited an hour. Have to go back with certified weight and to check vin... I had thought the new vintage look tags were available but on if some huge number of people apply. Old sets on flea bay are hugely expensive. At least I can drive her now and get used to the old technology....once it stops raining that is... | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 | I don't know if you are in this state already or not, but be sure you get it registered within I think it is 2 weeks or 10 days from the time you bring it in, or at least tell them so with no paper trail. When I first moved here, I had a pickup and wifes car 10 years ago, and with time penalty (I think it was 3 weeks), I had a $800 and some dollar registration fee. I thought the girl was messing with me, nope, welcome to sunny CA. Considering my PA registration would have been like 60 bucks, ouch. I had my 60 vette here in pieces for about 7 years, and once I finished restoring it, I took it to get the front end aligned, and had a guy meet me there that did registration work, and he took care of everythinhg, and yes he did need to see the vin number. I told him I just brought it in to the state last week. Cost a couple extra bucks, but was well worth it in my grief. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,253 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,253 | 7500 applications by Jan 1, 2015.
Now ya'll got me worried. I started the registration process about 2 years ago, gave them my money. Never went back for the vin verification. Hopefully, I can complete the process through AAA??? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | I got a 60 day temp reg that I have taped to the back window. Just got it weighed and now have to go for vin verification. Mine has the original spot lite on the left (dlr installed option) but I'm told I have to deactivate it in Kalif. Hopefully there's a fuse I can pull or, like some Jeeps, I can cover it.
I kinda doubt that AAA will do the vin verification but don't hurt to ask.
Last edited by Dogface; 12/27/2012 4:13 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 554 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 554 | Hopefully your VIN number on the paperwork matches what is on the truck. In California and many other states they used the engine number for ID (VIN). If someone changed out the engine you could have additional trips in store. My 1952 had a 1953 replacement engine. I had printed out all the information about the engine numbering system and the info from the actual ID tag on the door post but none of that helped. It didn't match what the CHP officer had in his book (or he didn't know how to use it). Took two more weeks of his "research" before he would re-examine it, finally giving the okay. Wishing you better luck.
Chuck | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,253 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,253 | Well, it was an Arizona registered vehicle. And the paper matches the door. I don't think the 5.7 tuned port would match anything on the papers. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | On mine the vin on the paper work matches what's on the door plate but I was told the same number should be some where else on the truck too. Not sure where. My engine is from a 56. I have 60 days to get this done. Had her weighed yesterday. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | but I was told the same number should be some where else on the truck too. Not sure where. The door post number is not duplicated anywhere else on the truck. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,253 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,253 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 | Whoever you are dealing with on the VIN verification is not up to speed. They didn't start putting the VIN in multiple locations until sometime in the mid 60's. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | partial vin numbers were stamped on the top of the drivers side frame rail starting with the 2nd series 55's .... no one has come up with any GM documentation, but it's been discussed here a number of times
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 901 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 901 | partial vin numbers were stamped on the top of the drivers side frame rail starting with the 2nd series 55's .... no one has come up with any GM documentation, but it's been discussed here a number of times
Bill This I know for a fact, as far as 55.2 series go. When I had my truck apart I checked the vin numbers on the frame and the cab, and they matched.
Brian 1955.2 3100 Truck The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 543 | I'll just take my iPad into DMV and show them this thread.  | | |
| |