The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Barry Martak, lumbersawyer), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,126
Posts1,056,354
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#894782 11/05/2012 11:59 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
I'm close to putting in the wood bed, some real good wood man told me to soak each board in Tung oil...that oil is very expensive..and he said "soak" ..then sand between the coats..before varnishing...how do yo saok a six by seven inch red oak board.? And I think I'm going to put down rubber runner where the folks will walk to the rear seat. thanks guys..Bruce D. mtvoices/


1936 Chevy Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1941 Chevy Woodie with Cantrell body
1936 Low Cab Chevy Pickup
1941 Spec Deluxe Chevy Coupe.
1953 Pontiac Catalina hardtop
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Bruce - see here - depending on the exact product you get [rare to find pure Tung, usually already mixed w/ solvents], you do not want to "soak" the wood [immerse in the oil] - and you do not want or need to use another finish [varnish] on top of it .... Tung oil is good stuff, works well to apply it with fine steel wool so there's no need of sanding between coats, just buff it dry with a soft cloth after each

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
You can try a vacuum bag. Coat the boards and suck out the air. It will draw the oil into the wood. Leave them in for awhile and then take them out to dry and repeat. I think Rockler Woodworking has the bags? As I recall Tung Oil needs Oxygen to dry.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...a fellow bolter suggested long ago that the boards usually start "splitting on the ends" before anything else happens. I've taken his advice on several projects and while I don't soak the entire board I do stand the ends in a pan of what ever finish I'm using and let it sit overnight to suck the stuff up into the end of the board. Has worked well for me.
Just a thought....


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
thanks Bill, I have never used much Tung oil..the bed is ready for this..will do...no need for varnish at all huh? Great, you saved me some time and money...Bruce d.


1936 Chevy Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1941 Chevy Woodie with Cantrell body
1936 Low Cab Chevy Pickup
1941 Spec Deluxe Chevy Coupe.
1953 Pontiac Catalina hardtop
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
Thanks there Alvin..will do this too, along with other tips on this oil..my other bed in my 36 pickup has a little cupping on the ends up of two boards up front..(no tung used there)butnot too bad..thanks bruce


1936 Chevy Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1941 Chevy Woodie with Cantrell body
1936 Low Cab Chevy Pickup
1941 Spec Deluxe Chevy Coupe.
1953 Pontiac Catalina hardtop
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Bruce, I know your no dummy at this stuff but just a reminder to look at the end grain when putting the wood down. One way the wood will "cup" and be low in the middle, the other way it will cup up in the middle. I hope you do not ever have that problem but personally I always turn mine to where it would cup up IF it did.

..and again, you are to be much congratulated on this project. I think the entire stovebolt family really appreciates your diligence on this project. Truly remarkable.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
thanks a lot Alvin..we're almost to the painting stage..will sne dKurt some photos to post next week...way more cash than I ever imagined...do you know where I might look for a beter oil pan for this 35 206.8 engine?? Mine has holes in bottom, too manyh to weld up...thanks...Bruce


1936 Chevy Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1941 Chevy Woodie with Cantrell body
1936 Low Cab Chevy Pickup
1941 Spec Deluxe Chevy Coupe.
1953 Pontiac Catalina hardtop
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I'll sure ask around in my circles ...and be sure to ask in the swap meet if you haven't already. I believe there are some bolters with vintage 35's that have modified their vehicles and may have one ?? I'll see what I can do.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
The wood warps (cups) opposite the annular rings.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
Bruce,

All great news. I'm ready to host the pictures for you anytime you are ready...

Kurt

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
Hi...tung oiled the wooden boards..but as for the up or down end grain..I'm afraid only one choice..seeing that the boards are grooved and ready for the metal stripe...hope they did it right at factory.I tyhink they did it right. Wooden bed looks great, sanded lightly between the coats..first coat cut 50% with terp,,then second coat full strength.With a good rubbing inbetween, We paint the body oin one week..been a while as other things like those tricky rear doors had to be installed again!! Mtvoices


1936 Chevy Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1941 Chevy Woodie with Cantrell body
1936 Low Cab Chevy Pickup
1941 Spec Deluxe Chevy Coupe.
1953 Pontiac Catalina hardtop
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
Had to soak ends of the wood for bed in Tung oil..100%..but it;s the best for no Cupping...installing soon. My Bodyman had to paint the blody once more..as I missed the Cabana Cream shade by two shades...with Airdal Brown..which is a correct 36 Truck and car color..it loks great..exactly like the one GM has in their Museum in Flint..been a freat project so far...need advice on wheel barings brakes etc...wire harness is next in the new yr..HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL... MTVOICES


1936 Chevy Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1941 Chevy Woodie with Cantrell body
1936 Low Cab Chevy Pickup
1941 Spec Deluxe Chevy Coupe.
1953 Pontiac Catalina hardtop
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 205
no cupping as I soaked the ends of those boards in 100% tungoil.. kinda pricey tho..but a good paint shop will have it. then coated the boards with tung, and wiped it down..gorgeous!


1936 Chevy Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1941 Chevy Woodie with Cantrell body
1936 Low Cab Chevy Pickup
1941 Spec Deluxe Chevy Coupe.
1953 Pontiac Catalina hardtop
More pix on Flickr

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0