The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (CuzzFuzz, 39Master85, Ponchogl, WICruiser, Otto Skorzeny), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,345
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
I have searched the previous postings for this information but have not had much luck. Was hoping someone could confirm with me the proper point gap setting for my 1954 235 that I have added a new higher output coil.

I am going with a 12 volt system with a new Petronix Flame Thrower coil (40,000V 3.0ohm) with standard points. AC R45S plugs are gapped at .016.

For the initial start up of my newly rebuilt engine, should I be setting the points at .045 or does anyone else have a preferred setting that has worked.
Thanks
John

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The 1954 Shop Manual shows .016 for used points (.019 for new), and .035 for plugs.
I think you have your settings reversed?

I set the plugs at .040 with the Pertronix ignition (as recommended by Pertronix), and at .035 when using points.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
Thanks for the information Tim...guess I did get my numbers transposed!! I thought the spark gap was widened a bit but was not sure if I needed to increase the point gap as well using the Pertronix coil.
I really appreciate the information everyone gives here on the forum.
John

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
The Pertronix coil without an igniter module is like peas without carrots or potatoes without gravy. My last set of points have been waiting in the glovebox in a ziploc bag for a long, long time waiting for emergency duty/starting difficulty.




1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0