I have a leak in my differential that appears to mainly coming from the front seal. Shop manual indicates pulling axles then Carrier assembly to change gasket. Is there any play whatsoever when you loosen the bolts on the front holding the carrier assembly which would allow me to get a gasket in without having to pull the axles? I was hoping I could cut the gasket and have the two sections meet on the top of the diff so I could get around needing full access to the whole diameter, just enough to squeeze in a replacement and clean it up first if needed.
Just trying to avoid pulling axles as I will probably change out the old 4 speed Trans, go to an open drive and change the differential within the next year. Just got to stop the leak in the interim as the wife frowns upon the mess I am making in the garage.
