| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,086 Posts1,056,333 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | At our local car show I saw a 54 3100 and the tires were 7.50R16Lt. They are narrow just like the original bias ply from Sears. When I asked about them he only said he got them 30 years ago. They still looked good. They look better than the 215/85/16 than i am using now. I have not checked yet,but they probably are not made any more. Has any else ever seen these tires? Just curious. Steve | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | Coker tire makes that size. They also make a 650R16 that would probably look even better. And they even make a 600R16 16 inch Coker tires Kurt | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Coker would be the best bet. Sears hasn't sold Sears branded bias tires for at least the last 20 years.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Kurt, who else would carry this size? (6.50R16) Steve | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | Steve, I think there are no other domestic manufacturers. There seem to be plenty of foreign manufacturers, but I don't know that any are imported. Here is a link to a Chinese manufacturer. Sure is a better price, $89 vs $260 or so for the Coker. Yancheng Tuopu Tyre Kurt | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Steve, Universal Tire has your size and made in USA.
"STA: Specialty Tires of America, Inc. (formerly McCreery Tire & Rubber Co., founded in 1915) is a fully integrated manufacturer of bias ply and radial tires that are 100% Made in America." | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | Workmaster, I tried your suggestion and went to Universal Tire, because I am also in the market for a 6.50 16 Radial. All I can find on the site in 16s were bias ply and the Coker Radials. Did I miss something? Universal tire co. Kurt | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Kurt, thanks for your reply but I'm not interested in chinese tires or bias ply for that matter.I think we are both looking for a reasonable priced U.S. made tire...if there is such a thing! Hopefully someone in Stovebolt land knows the answer. Steve | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | Steve,
I've been looking off and on for the last year, and have found nothing made onshore except the Coker in the 6.50R16. Not sure that it would be possible to import tires even if that was what I wanted.
Well I still have quite a few miles left on this current pair of bias ply shoes. Sure would like to try some correct lookin' radials however.
Looks like it would be about $1300 for a set of Cokers when It's all said and done.
Kurt
| | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 20 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2008 Posts: 20 | About ten years ago in Az. I had that size on an old truck, got them new through an independent tire shop so check some of them.
59 GMC rare fleet option stepside pickup 57 Chevy sedan delivery 57 Ma Bell windowed panel (gone) 57 Ma Bell 150 sedan (gone) 57 Burb with p/s, Apache Res. school bus (gone) 56 Navy 3100 pickup (pieces) 56 windowed sedan delivery (US Dept. of Ag.) (gone) 55 Navy 150 sedan (gone) and many others now gone Founding father Desert Classics 55-57 Chevy club now gone
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | Not sure about the 30yr old sears tires but I have new 7.50x16 10 ply light truck tires on my 51 3100. Click my blog link in my signature and then click on my flickr link. there are a ton of pics.
I'll get you the brand name tomorrow morning. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Ain't nothing wrong with bias-ply. Have a set of Firestone 650-16 on the 49 and love them. They are about 5 years old and have 6000 miles on them. The new bias-ply are unlike the old type. Different compound makes for a smoother ride with no overnight flat spots. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | Mine get a little flat spotted when she sits for a while (couple months or so) but they smooth out after I warm em up a bit and add a little air. | | |
| |
| |