The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (BC59), 148 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Is there any overdrive to use for my truck?? Now i dont feel good doing more than 70km/h(about 45mp/h).I wanna go faster eeeek

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Your choices are an O/D transmission, larger diameter tires or a higher ratio rear end gearing or two speed rear perhaps. You'll need to post what you currently have for the BigBolt gods to be able to help. The full model, gvwr, model year, etc. is all of help.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Conny,If you have a 2-speed rear-end,as I'm pretty sure you do,(6500-Series,probably 18,000 gross),you may have "her" set in the "low-side",(rear-end gears). Mine was set on the "low-side",and my top speed was around 40-45,if I pushed it. I found the answer here on Stovebolt,so I thought I should pass it on. Hope this helps. B.T.W... Now I can run comfortably (without over-revving the engine) at right at 55 M.P.H. Fast enough for me,but I don't use the Interstate,either.


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 39
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 39
You can get a ranger overdrive http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-760001m-27/ this is what I have installed on my truck to help bring the rpms down when Im on the highway, I also replaced the ring and pinion gears with a 4.88 ratio. So now I can cruise at 65 turning under 2500 rpm.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 163
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 163
I have a gear vendors OD unit in my motorhome and it is very slick. Has a magical box that automatically shifts it into OD when I hit 40. Has a dimmer switch on the floor to shift out of OD when needed. Expensive but slick, thankfully my MH came with it.

I have a OD Brownie box in my 46 GMC. It works fine but nothing like the GV unit.




Jason
1946 GMC COE
1967 Pontiac Lemans Convertible

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/jrpontiac/library/?sort=3&page=1

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0