The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (46truck, Woodcmiami, Hotrod Lincoln, MRMEROTH11, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,121
Posts1,056,328
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#868619 07/22/2012 6:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Hi, I recently purchased a new bed fabricated to match the original look but including a steel deck. All made from 3mm steel.Because of the strength of the bed there are no cross bearers running across the width of the tray.
I have looked at the bed mounting blocks available but they are all too small and must take account of Cross bearers running the width of the tray of the original

Does any one have the measurements between the chassis and the actual deck

Seems to be about 5 1/2 inches at front and 3 1/4 inches at rear

Thanks

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
you might find good info here ... if you have the cross sills from the original bed it'd be a good idea to use them, if not maybe you could fab some up, they do serve a purpose

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Going from memory on my '40, blocks were 2 1/4" high, plus the 3/4" thickness of the wood planks making about 3" overall. Not sure that even with 3 mm steel the bed won't deflect ?


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Bruce is correct with the 2 1/4" blocks ect. Same on my 37


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Thanks for replys - As I dont have cross sills on my bed could any one advise the depth of these
Thanks

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Here is a shot of my cross sill but I don't have the measurements.

Also, you may want to think about putting a samll "cushion" under the bed blocks to help eliminate any squeaks ect.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/Nexttorear.jpg

I'm not saying mine is prefect. Back when I did my bed I had nothing to go on so I did what I had to do. Maybe this will give you an idea of what it looks like.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0