The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Shaffer's1950), 68 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,449
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#866846 07/14/2012 11:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
I just took delivery of a 1946 1/2 Suburban. If I am not mistaken, there was only about 2,500 of these originally made. This one is pretty darn solid but needs a lot of cleanup to be done.

Suburban next to my 1/2 ton pickup - Photo

Back side of '46 1/2 ton and '46 Suburban with clamshell doors - photo

I am thinking that I want to leave this thing as original - as is but with some clean-up. I know there is a big push to leave these original cars alone. stay tuned.

I added a suburban section to my web page to track progress.

Sheridan's 46 Chevy Truck - Suburban page


What do you think???


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
Tim, awesome score! Clean it up and drive it as is, then move forward from there. Either way you sure are lucky to have that 'burb.


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 163
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 163
Hello Tim!

Now I am jelous - not only a Suburban, but one with clamshell rear doors! That was a great find!

Randy B


Come to the Great Lakes GABfest
Get all the details here!
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
Did a little clean-up work on it, ran it through the local car wash and took it for a ride today. Runs great but pretty much everything that is rubber or weather stripping needs to be replaced. Task #1 - replace all rubber......

Good sampling of GM products from 1946.

Last edited by Sheridan; 07/15/2012 4:00 PM.

Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
Very, very nice! I would keep the burb original... they are so rare, everybody expects a 350 small block, etc. Need to show young folks old can be fun too!


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC"
A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark!
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by 40casey
Very, very nice! I would keep the burb original... they are so rare, everybody expects a 350 small block, etc. Need to show young folks old can be fun too!

In no way shape or form would I even consider a 350 (for the reasons you mention). I have no problems with others doing that but it is not for me. The question really is leave it "as is" and drive it or do a complete restoration to original specs (like I did with my 1/2 ton).


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Leave it and drive it for now. Until it bugs you enough to want to restore it!

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Wow, that thing (and your other vehicles) is beautiful!!!!!!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 48
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 48
You lucky dog!! Thanks for keeping stock.


1960 GMC 1/2-ton Fleetside
"Donald"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

1941 GMC 1/2-Ton Short Box Stepside
"Wilburforce"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

1943? Chevrolet G7107
1946 Dodge COE 1-1/2 ton
1939 Allis Chalmers model "C"
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
I would only rechrome the bumpers. Body looks great, as does grille.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
I have already replaced both the bumpers with NOS bumpers!!! I was extremely fortunate to have a set offered to me from someone on the VCCA site. They look fantastic on it and they look like they belong vs. fresh chrome.

Photo of the new bumpers


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Wow,it really looks good,nice suburban.
Does it have all the seats ?


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by bowtietim
Wow,it really looks good,nice suburban.
Does it have all the seats ?


Tim

Yes it does! All three original rows! no rips, tears or cracks either!


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Tim,that's a rare beastie indeed!

I'm sure whatever route you take,it'll be approached with the same care,detail and professionalism you lavished on your pick-up.
I'm also astonished there are still NOS parts out there for these!
A fine addition to your 'fleet',i'm not sure....does more than one Stovebolt constitute a fleet? grin
Either way,good luck.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
Those two trucks make a real nice set! I'm with these guys,original is the way to go! Congrats, and you are lucky

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
Tim, great to finally meet you at the Fox Lake fire fighters car show and Stovebolt gabfest. The 46 Sub is truly a great find. Fix what needs fixing and DRIVE it as is.


Weeds


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0