The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ridgeback, Otto Skorzeny, 39Master85, 1955 1 Series, Hanks custodian), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86513 12/11/2004 12:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know if it's still possible to get the original cloth covered rubber insulated wire?
I need to rewire my '52 chev. panel, & I'd prefer to keep that original too. I know there's wire harness' out there, but I don't know if they have correct wire & they're expensive.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000655#000000

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
Tclederman is correct in recommending R.I. wire. But, if you want something for a little
less money, you might consider Jim Carters
premium set. Its made by another well known
company but at a lower cost for Jim Carter.
Its the yellow cloth wire with markings as
original. Figure cost at around $400 at Jim
Carter and even higher for R.I. If this is
more than you had planned on spending for a
original looking harness then you can still get
a very nice harness for $100--just not cloth.
Cecil.......

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 31
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 31
What does R I stand for and how does one contact them? Do they have web address? Thanks, Ralph

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 13
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 13
My two cents worth. I originally went with the 100 dollar harness from Chevy Duty for my 52. It was easy to install and worked fine. After a couple of years i decided i wanted a more authentic look and bought the premium harness from Jim Carter which is made by Vintage Wiring of Maine. I think the quality is good and it looks nice but but had some problems with the install. A couple of the wires were mislabled and the instructions refered to illustrations which were left out of the kit. Also, turn signal wiring is not included with that harness.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
As of 6 months ago Jim Carters premium set was
made by YnZ. Maybe YnZ and Vintage Wire are
one in the same or Jim Carter jobs it out
to the company that meets his price point. Cecil....

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
A big thanks to everyone's inputs.
This is a good education. I just want to have as few as problems as possible.
It looks like YnZ may be local to me. I will do some more research before I buy.
Thanks again for the help.
That's why I keep coming back!


Regards, Kevin
1940 1/2-ton (Uncle Willie\'s truck)

Thanks for the help so far fellow Bolters!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0