| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
117
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | For those of you who have these bias tires, I was wondering how long yours have lasted? Mine seem to be wearing faster than expected, a little over 1/8" over 4,000 miles. The wear seems to have slowed lately, probably because the tires have flattened out. The tread in the center of the new tires seemed domed if that makes any sense. There isn't much difference from front to rear either. Was curious if others had a similar experience? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 79 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 79 | I am curious as to what others think as well. I have been looking to get some for my 61 k20 too. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | I think allot depends on speeds. Seems to me that bias ply tires wear faster at higher speeds (over 50 mph) as they heat up more. However, I can't recall where I read that, so it might be hooey. Also, braking and accel have much to do with how they last of coarse.
I put 25,000 miles on the 7.50-17 tires on the one ton I had. The tires were nearly new when I got them, but at the rate they were wearing, I suspect they'd have been worn out in another 15 thousand miles.
They did wear faster until they wore flat, as you describe Jomichael.
I should mention too, I have the lug type traction tires on the rear, and Hi-way ribs on the front, both were wearing at the same rate.
Last edited by Mr. Lang; 06/30/2012 10:30 PM. Reason: add tire info
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | I do about 50 on average, and always start slow. Maybe that is just the way they are. I will update this thread every time I add 1,000 miles just so people will know.
If they wear out at 15,000 I would say these are even more expensive than I thought! But they are the only ones I can use on my 17.5 x 8 rims.
I might get some steel 17' wheels and put some radials on them and switch out the STA's for car shows and 4 wheelin. Just need to find some room in the garage and money in my wallet! | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | Hey Pope, I must say that these tires really finish the look of an old 4x4, they just look awesome. Not so good in the sand, but great all around. Makes for easy steering with manual steering box too. I don't regret buying them at all.
Were these standard on the 61's?
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 79 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 79 | Great to hear, that puts me at a little ease. I have some time before buying them. Thanks! Pope | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Had my Firestone 650-16 on for five years now and just over 6000 miles. No visible wear. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | Domed in the middle would suggest over inflation.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | |
| |
| |