The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Steelonsteel, GRNHydra, WICruiser, 51sub, Wally / Montana, 55shaker, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 123 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,141
Posts1,056,471
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#863116 06/29/2012 10:10 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I notice lately when I depress my clutch pedal I get a slight whistling noise. I've determined that it is only when I have the clutch pedal depressed so I assume it's the throwout bearing. It's brand new from Classic Parts, so having it go out this quickly is a bit of a shock if that's what it is.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Half the time they are screwed up directly out of the box. I have had more than a fair share of them click and move when wiggled, brand new. One sat on the shelf for two years as a backup and I can't return it. I don't leave the parts store without checking now and have had them go through boxes to get me another.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
too bad ya didn't get it from NAPA, they have a year warranty on clutch kits, when the Chinese bearing went out on me after 11 months they traded the whole kit for me, pressure plate, disc, bearing and pilot bushing

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
Lousy luck. I'm not getting under the truck again any time soon. It'll just have to whistle until I'm ready to fix it.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 45
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 45
If you installed a pilot bushing instead of a bearing this is more than likely your noise. Very few throw out bearings make a whistling noise. With a bushing, the input shaft likes to stick to the bushing causing a "whistling or a screach noise at idle and when just taking off from a stop. GM had this problem for years, and I had several other makes of my own,(Fords and Jeeps)
If a bearing is not avalible, 6 small groves evenly spaced inside the bushing will eliminate the noise. ( hacksaw blade works, been there done that many times) Gm fix at one time.

Good luck


The older I get, I only want to work on older rigs.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
If it were the pilot bushing, wouldn't the noise be constant? It only happens when I depress the clutch pedal.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 45
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 45
When the trans is in gear, and the truck is sitting still, the input shaft is also still and the pilot bushing is spinning around the shaft. Does it also make this noise when shifting between gears?


The older I get, I only want to work on older rigs.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I believe it does, but I'll have to double check. Is there a way to confirm or rule out the throwout bearing? I do have a pilot bushing, not a bearing. I thought all these trucks used a bushing.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes on bushings only, and yes on the bushing causing a real screech if it's moving in the crank bore ... maybe Roy hasn't meet the new generation of Chinese throwout bearings but they have a wide repertoire of vocalizations .... pulling the dust cover and trying to get a visual fix on where the noise comes from is your only choice other than pulling it apart

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I froze the bushing overnight and even then had to use a good amount of force to get it into the crank.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
If the transmission is in neutral and the gear oil is warm the screeching pilot bushing should start the input shaft turning and the noise should stop. If in gear the noise is likely to continue.
Usually a throwout bearing makes noise even before the clutch pedal is depressed enough to release the clutch disc.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 43
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 43
Question for 1940Gmcjoe so i just got my 1940 chevy half ton running 216 engine was rebuilt transmission was not when im driving and just coasting with foot off accelerator im hearing like a screeching noise kind of like clucth is rubbing but has soon has i pop in clucth screeching goes away ive made sure my clucth is ok but cant get rid of screeching noise While in gear driving... I dont hear no screeching or whilsling while idle and my gears seem to be shifting just fine i also used a pilot bearing on my engine do u think this is the problem

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Try starting a new thread instead of dragging up a 4 year old post and tagging on to it. Not sure 1940Gmcjoe is even around anymore.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0