| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (klhansen),
173
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,080 Posts1,056,317 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 408 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 408 | I have a 1977 Chevy truck, steering wheel looks great but the wheel is very sticky to the touch. tried cleaning! any hope of saving this wheel. Thanks, Paul | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Paul, my personal opinion is no. I deliver parts to a couple car lots and I once asked them about this. I was told they had a lady that would take it and redo them like new. This was a couple years ago and I believe they said it cost about 100 bucks.
Maybe someone else here can give a better answer. Heck, I have somewhat the same problem on my 2000 Silverado. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | Have you tried some auto wax and grease remover on it? That stuff cleans the dirty hand prints and oil build up off kitchen cabs like you were sneezing... If that doesn't work I'd toss it too.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 408 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 408 | I will try, cant hurt. Thanks, Paul | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 49 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2008 Posts: 49 | I cleaned mine. Still sticky. Sanded and repainted. Still sticky. Finally, bought one of those perforated leather steering wheel lace up covers. Priceless. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 35 | I have read different articles on this and these are the remedies some folks say work well. P.K. Plastic Cleaner Leather Saddle Cleaner Hydrasol made by Polywater 3M general Purpose Adhesive Cleaner #051135-08984
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | I cleaned mine real well then painted it with appliance paint. Worked real well for awhile til the paint wore off. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1 | One thing that worked really well on my old Volvo was cleaning the steering wheel with Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Countertop Spray. I sprayed it on a rag and rubbed it on, and once it dried the stickiness was gone. I like the scent called Geranium best, although it really smells more like roses. I just happened on this remedy by accident, when I was desperately trying everything I had in the cabinet to remove the stickiness from the old rubber wheel! You can get the Mrs. Meyer's stuff at most natural foods stores, and at some regular grocery stores like Harp's. Good luck! | | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 574 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2012 Posts: 574 | i have a 1978 GMC that had the same problem........i tried everything, i mean everything, and nothing worked so i tossed mine and got a used (but not sticky)one at a swap meet........NO MORE STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
1949 Dodge Coronet 1955 2nd Chevy 4400 1.5 ton 1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton 1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton 1957 Chevy 5400 LCF 2 ton 1966 Dodge D100 Sweptline 1968 Chevy P20 stepvan 1969 GMC LWB pickup 1972 GMC Sprint 1974 CP30 shorty bus There are three things that I've learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.----Linus Van Pelt Trying to understand the behavior of some people is like trying to smell the color 9 | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Drive em every day and don't leave em sitting in the hot sun. It'll come off on your hands for a while but they will get less sticky with lots of use. | | |
| |
| |