The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Wally / Montana, TUTS 59, Keepinthemstockm, papas52, Otto Skorzeny, JW51, Gdads51, cmayna), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,084
Posts1,056,333
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
I have a 1977 Chevy truck, steering wheel looks great but the wheel is very sticky to the touch. tried cleaning! any hope of saving this wheel. Thanks, Paul

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Paul, my personal opinion is no. I deliver parts to a couple car lots and I once asked them about this. I was told they had a lady that would take it and redo them like new. This was a couple years ago and I believe they said it cost about 100 bucks.

Maybe someone else here can give a better answer. Heck, I have somewhat the same problem on my 2000 Silverado.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Have you tried some auto wax and grease remover on it?
That stuff cleans the dirty hand prints and oil build up off kitchen cabs like you were sneezing... dance
If that doesn't work I'd toss it too.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
I will try, cant hurt.
Thanks, Paul

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 49
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 49
I cleaned mine. Still sticky. Sanded and repainted. Still sticky. Finally, bought one of those perforated leather steering wheel lace up covers. Priceless.

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 35
8
New Guy
New Guy
8 Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 35
I have read different articles on this and these are the remedies some folks say work well.
P.K. Plastic Cleaner
Leather Saddle Cleaner
Hydrasol made by Polywater
3M general Purpose Adhesive Cleaner #051135-08984


An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
I cleaned mine real well then painted it with appliance paint. Worked real well for awhile til the paint wore off.


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
One thing that worked really well on my old Volvo was cleaning the steering wheel with Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Countertop Spray. I sprayed it on a rag and rubbed it on, and once it dried the stickiness was gone. I like the scent called Geranium best, although it really smells more like roses. I just happened on this remedy by accident, when I was desperately trying everything I had in the cabinet to remove the stickiness from the old rubber wheel! You can get the Mrs. Meyer's stuff at most natural foods stores, and at some regular grocery stores like Harp's. Good luck!

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
i have a 1978 GMC that had the same problem........i tried everything, i mean everything, and nothing worked so i tossed mine and got a used (but not sticky)one at a swap meet........NO MORE STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin


1949 Dodge Coronet
1955 2nd Chevy 4400 1.5 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1957 Chevy 5400 LCF 2 ton
1966 Dodge D100 Sweptline
1968 Chevy P20 stepvan
1969 GMC LWB pickup
1972 GMC Sprint
1974 CP30 shorty bus

There are three things that I've learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.----Linus Van Pelt
Trying to understand the behavior of some people is like trying to smell the color 9 big_eek



Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Drive em every day and don't leave em sitting in the hot sun. It'll come off on your hands for a while but they will get less sticky with lots of use.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0