The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, klhansen, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 178 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 60
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 60
Ok. I've read hundreds of posts and am ready to go to boneyards to get what I need - but I need more advice. I have a stock '51 3100 with a 216, 3 speed trans, original everything. I am doing a resto. I am looking to swap the engine/trans combo for a setup with low rpm, good street ride. I've read the tech tips, and options for a new engine with same trans , or new trans with same engine and variations.

many thanks.

I want to drop a small V8 with a manual 5-speed OD. I will change the rear to a late 90s Camaro Rear with 3.23 gears, and will change to disc brakes up front. I am looking for advice on what Make/models will help make this easier with a swap of both the engine and trans. I know I may have to modify supports, add crossmember, move radiator, etc.... I can weld and do mechanicals, but do not have the knowledge of various transmissions and their pros/cons.

So, ideally I'd like to go to a local boneyard and look for a 198x/90y V8 engine and the xx 5-speed trans or 199y vehicle and get the V8 and manual trans that I can drop as a unit. I dont have a preference for a particular trans model, so long as it matches up with the engine.


1967 Chevelle Malibu (2nd owner)

1951 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 7
2
New Guy
New Guy
2 Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 7
No, you are not doing a "resto" if your meaning is restoration. You are building a street rod.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 60
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 60
Yup. Point well taken. Changed my mind from resto after browsing Stovebolt.

Last edited by malibu67; 06/15/2012 7:54 PM.

1967 Chevelle Malibu (2nd owner)

1951 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
If you aren't already I suggest surfing on over and adding the H.A.M.B. to your reading list. They are more into the rodding (as long as its pre 63)and have a bunch of threads to pick up ideas from. (not that there aren't any rodders here)


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
try the HIPo shop, (on this website), that is where they discuss this sort of thing. Chevy talk is pretty much oriented towards this subject.

Last edited by brokenhead; 06/15/2012 11:35 PM.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 60
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 60
will do. thanks.


1967 Chevelle Malibu (2nd owner)

1951 Chevy 3100
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Before we can help in giving you parts and such, we need to know what your intentions are for the truck. Will this be a Saturday night cruiser? A daily driver? A speeding bullet?

I can say that you really can have the best of both worlds. I have a resto "period Hot Rod" under my hood and I can keep up with the best of them......


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0