Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
73
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,474 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#85684 02/24/2004 1:37 AM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 | Aloha, man I just got a radio off ebay and it's in a poorer condition than it looked, still a great price but my question's are; what color is the metal part behind the dial? which parts place has the better replacement bezel's and knobs and antenna? (I noticed a big price difference between golden state and J Carters on the bezel) and,,,any ideas on making a cassette player or cd player and keeping it's original look? many mahalo's in advance. | | |
#85685 02/24/2004 3:58 AM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 | Aloha, me again, does anyone have a really good close-up photo of a mint condition, restored or gennie, radio? preferably '51-'53? Thanks again | | |
#85686 02/25/2004 3:28 AM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | | | |
#85687 02/26/2004 4:43 AM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 | There are differences between Chevy and GMC. Which do you have? | | |
#85688 02/26/2004 4:56 AM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 | Yeah your right, I failed to mention mine is for a 1951 Chevy! Thanks for asking. Aloha | | |
#85689 02/26/2004 6:19 AM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Kimo - there are guys that restore these old radios who charge between $275 - $400 depending on what you start with. At those prices for restoration - if you got more time than $ it pays to make sure you aren't buying junk. Dials, knobs, speakers, grill surrounds, etc. are all repopped. Chevs of the 40's sells them as do several other vendors. Post a note on the VCCA site if you need direct knowledgeable old chevy radio help. I have done 3 truck radios now and the help I got from a local VCCA member was invaluable. Good luck!  | | |
#85690 02/26/2004 8:13 AM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 | Aloha! 51Jimmy, waves are pumpin huh brah? Mavs gonna go big! Waimea too! (and cortez, todos santos...) Ken, yeah I'll do it myself, I'm pretty savvy with dem electrons and I quess I'll just go with the cheapest vendor for da knobs and stuff, I do have "the truck/car shop" near me in Santa Ana/Orange (?) but like the saying goes "if you can't say anything good about them don't say anything at all", needless to say I'll stay quiet and shop elsewhere. Still sure would dig a good photo. The color that is there behind the dial and under the faceplate is a very mustard like color, or if you know what dupont veri-prime self etching primer looks like it's that color. right now kinda burnin so i'll check VCCA later, thanks for that. A HUI HOU !
------------------------------------------------ `A`ohe lokomaika`i i nele i ke pâna`i.
No kind deed has ever lacked its reward. | | |
#85691 02/26/2004 6:14 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 230 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 230 | The Truck Shop isn't bad if you avoid the kids working there and _never_ trust 'phone ordering .
Sadly the manager is wet behind the ears and not only hires uncaring kids but _he_ doesn't give a sh*t either , this is costing them lots and lots of customers....
Just making the kids act in a _professional_ manner would turn that place around in two weeks .
I plan to go there to-morrow and pick up a few bits for my buddy's '54 Passenger car .
-Nate There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
| | |
#85692 02/26/2004 6:52 PM | Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 169 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 169 | I have no experience with this man/company. FYI only. www.fredsclassicradios.com Paul Wisner | | |
#85693 02/26/2004 10:07 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 | VWNate1, dude you nailed it on the head!!!!!!!! MORON"S!!!!!! Hey y'all I spent some time and 409 cleaner and contact cleaner and plastic polish today and the radio ain't so bad, needs bezel & knobs and speaker though, so I won't be needin a photo, but thanks soo much. this forum rocks!! Did I type "y'all"? Kimo, the Hawaiian Hillbilly!! ALOOO---HA | | |
#85694 02/27/2004 1:11 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 198 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 198 | You should be able to find another speaker to fit with out a problem, just have to watch the size of the speaker. I pick up the schematics from the local library, and they list all the capactors and there voltage ratings, they even show the locations of the parts, then it just a matter of replacing them one at a time using a solding gun. | | |
#85695 02/27/2004 9:11 AM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 | Albert, good point about speakers, should I have mine rebuilt or get one from these "vendors' that I'm sure are made in china/india/cambodia/sri lanka and I'd rather avoid????? ALOO-Ha | | |
#85696 02/27/2004 3:02 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 198 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 198 | most radios i have worked on have have 6x9's in them but have a small speaker mag. on them less than 2" check around at an auto scrap yard and they have lots that will do the job, beside this is not a cd quality sound system... if you look around the the back of the speaker you will see what i mean about the clearance, take the old on up as a sample, the newer speaker will have 2 wires, your old one may only have one, the other lead is connected to the frame of the speaker which is not a problem to fix. besides who lookes inside the radio?? | | |
#85697 02/28/2004 12:36 AM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | Kimo, I'll have a pic of a NOS radio in 3+ weeks if you can wait.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#85698 02/28/2004 2:24 PM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | The repro knobs etc. come in a tan colored plastic and they need to be painted a bone color. I am wondering what kind of paint is best for this application ? | | |
| |