Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
13 members (Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, TUTS 59, Jon G, Joe H, HandyAndy, greenie-reddy, Simso, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck, Gib70, 3B, 1 invisible),
123
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,103 Posts1,056,183 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 252 | I took the fan off, cleaned and painted it and put it all back together. Looks very nice but, it hits the engine just very slightly now. What could I have done wrong? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 | From what I know Yes you can put it on the wrong way. There is some other things to consider as well. Such as if you have a 235 with a short shaft water pump. If you have a short shaft then the you may have bent the blade a bit and its now hitting. Simply bend it back. Or as you said "its on backwards" Post some pics or look at some of your old photos and compair. Good luck. If this is your engine in the link below you have a short shaft water pump. A lot of the time when folks install this pump the fan hits and requires bending of the blades. It dose not harm the fan just simpley bend it out. I have dne this as well as others. http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m533/peterharbo/IMG_7097.jpg | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 283 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 283 | A fan installed backward is not an efficient air mover.It will be noisy and throw the air outward from the center rather than moving it through centrally. The concave side of the blades should face the incoming air flow.Normally in an automobile this will be ((((( this shape as looking from the radiator side with clockwise rotation.
Bob Taylor
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | "it hits the engine just very slightly now"
what exactly is hitting what, exactly? the pulley is rubbing on the water pump? a thin shim will fix it
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 252 | Here are pictures of the fan before and after. It appears to only go one way(?) After I re-installed it one blade was just pinging against the harmonic balancer ever so slightly, so I bent it and it seemed to fix it. Can I add a set of washers under each bolt to shim it out further? Does the blade right right? Thanks as always http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m533/peterharbo/Fan/ | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | note the ridges that radiate from the center are on the front, same before and after
yes, thin flat washers, or a piece of sheet metal drilled to the same pattern as the water pump flange
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Morosso makes fan spacers and are available at FLAPS or Speed Equipment stores. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 252 | In hind sight I suppose I should have investigated more thoroughly before posting. The fan does have a front and back and will only go on one way. I pulled it off and put some flats under the bolts and it seems to have solved the problem. I guess I was looking to make it more difficult than it needed to be! Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. Peter | | |
| |