Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Otto Skorzeny, 55shaker, 1946chevytruck, Wheelie, Shaffer's1950, 1955 1 Series, 37 GC, Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible),
107
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,605 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 27 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 27 | Took possession of a 49 3100, about 3 weeks ago. It's in pretty good shape, that is little rust and pretty straight body. I'm planning on a restro mod. Plan on keeping the 235 that it came in it, it has 4 on the floor (granny) with 4.11, but I've got a brand new 3.55. I'd like to keep the generator but up grade to 12v. Add A//C when money allows. I'm wondering about the ride? Can any one tell me how it should ride, with stock suspension? What about braking, I'd like to do a little hi way driving 60-70, but don't want it drifting off the road, or unable to stop. Thanks, looks like a really great community.
It's not the weight of the load, that breaks your back. It's how you carry it.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Hi,let me be the first to welcome you to the 'bolt.
Sounds like you've got things pretty well worked out in your head. There's also quite a few other Texan 'bolters frequent this site.
A properly set up truck with rebuilt stock suspension and brakes will still probably still ride like a truck,but there's tips and tricks available to make your life easier. Just ask any queries you have in the relevant sub-forums and the info will come.
Good luck and pictures would be nice.
Jock.
Last edited by jockbolter50; 04/14/2012 12:29 PM.
1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Welcome to the Stovebolt. I see your now part of the Texas Connection!! Jock had given good advice. Soooo many things that you can do. For example, I kept my straight axle but went with power steering and upgraded tie rod ends. With the 3:55 gear you'll be able to definitely run a little faster but not sure how it works with a 4speed vs a 3speed tranny. As Jock says, ask those questions in the most appropiate forum and you'll get lots of info. Good luck... and how about some picturs?! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | Welcome 49oldandslow. Very nice truck you have. I don't see anything wrong with your plan, in fact I have almost exactly what you intend to do. I have a stovebolt six, 261 engine, 4 speed, kept the generator and went 12 volt. I changed out the rear for a 3.55 in the old torque tube setup. My suspension is stock and works well. I also have the drum brakes with single master cylinder, not the best brakes but I'm used to them. Instead of A/C, I open the window and have the cowl vent but we don't get the crazy temperatures you get. I have tall, skinny bias plies which is not good for handling or high speed cornering, maybe should have went radials.
Leo | | | | | Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 27 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 27 | Thanks Leo, your 4 speed, I'm guessing its original. What kind of cruising speeds vs rpm are you getting?
It's not the weight of the load, that breaks your back. It's how you carry it.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 | Welcome to Stovebolt. That's a nice looking truck to start with. You should be able to make a nice driver out of her. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | Thanks Leo, your 4 speed, I'm guessing its original. What kind of cruising speeds vs rpm are you getting? Hard to guess without a tach but I think I can go 60 mph at between 2500-2800 rpm. My tires are 29" tall, could go an inch or two taller. The transmission is the old SM420 that the truck came with. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 457 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 457 | Welcome, 49... I enjoyed a stock '49 3100 for 10 years or so, and it was as dependable as sunrise. All I did was change to 12V (I used a one wire alternator.) It rode fine, for an old truck. Looks like yours has had some leaves removed up front or some other mods. I kept the stock 4:11, so 50 mph or so was my top end, and stock brakes were fine. But, if I had a 3:55 (which I may do in my '40) I would want to upgrade the brakes, as has been mentioned. Best of luck, and, you will find lots of advice here! 
1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC" A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark! | | |
| |