The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, tclederman, walter74, LAROKE), 133 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,122
Posts1,056,332
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#843991 04/15/2012 5:01 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 117
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 117
Wondering what the proper breakin tme would be for a freshly rebuilt (everything, rings, bearings, cam & lifters, valves, the works) before running for extended use at highway speeds (60-65)? I'm not talking about initial run for breaking in the cam an such, I want to know how many hours/miles the engine should be run at varying light loads before considering it ready to be driven as normally. The motor in question is of course a 235 bolt of 1960 vintage.
Your advise and wisdom ar greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
9
New Guy
New Guy
9 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
chuck,

once you establish a proper cam break in, you should be good. The only other thing that will happen is with your rings it might take a couple hundred miles to set them, depending on which kind you have used. Sometimes you might have to retorque your head, some people do some people don't.


51' 3100 s10swap, 350, 5 speed, patina
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382481

49' GMC 3100 future project

55.1' chevy future project

54' 6400 chevy dump truck all original

63' c-10 future project
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 117
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 117
That is similar to what I would expect. I have been told first 500 miles to "go easy" vary the load with no sustained high rpm runs for more than 8-10 miles and to watch the temp gage as the new tight motor will make more heat until the rings have a chance to seat in well. (I assume due to higher friction of the new rings in the bore.) I had a friend who neglected to follow this advice with a 235 that was also rebuilt, with only 4 miles on it after the initial cam break in he jumped on the highway for a nice 1 and a half hour cruise to a friends place. Non working temp gage. Overheated it, really hot is my guess, and by the time he knew what was happening he had taken out the bearings. Had to have the crank ground and replace the mains, rod and cam bearings, and I think have the rods resized.
I'm thinking better safe than stupid so I'm asking the experts.

Chuck

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...short drives to the icecream drive-in or a couple short drives "in the country" should be in order first to establish all components are working and the cooling system and temps seem to stay "normal".


...but then of coarse, I have let them run long enough to adjust the valves and then as my brother would say "go or blow". I don't recommend that but we've done it quite a few times!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I like to get 500 miles of driving time with different speeds and making sure not to lug it or over rev it. Then get the oil changed and double check bolts, hoses.

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
I am in the 1500 mile camp.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Can you explain the cam break-in...is that just slow go or what?

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Cam break-in: Upon first start of engine, run non-stop at fast idle for 20 minutes. On V-8's, I usually run at 2000 rpms. Maybe not so fast on the stovebolts, but not sure.

IMHO, the morst important part of all of this is that the oil should have a high zinc content (ZDDP maybe?) or an equivalent break-in additive to the oil. Valvoline racing oil has ZDDP in it.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
We finished a round track engine installation less than an hour before qualifying time several years ago, so I put one of the pit crew guys in the car as we trailered it to the track so he could keep the engine running at 2K RPM for the cam break-in. 30 minutes later the driver backed it off the trailer and hit the track for the time trials. That one was one of the best race engines we ever ran. Of course, a brand new round track engine has more clearance built in everywhere than a 100,000-mile street engine has, and it's totally worn out after less than a thousand miles of track time!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,221
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,221
We used to break-in our engines in the water box at the drag strip! If it made it through that, which they did, it got one easy pass. The next race was all out.

Street engines need a little more then that, very the load on the engine, run it up in rpm and let the weight of the truck slow it back down, then go again. Do it five or six times out on the road, third or fourth gear. After that give it some miles, your choice. Change out the break in oil when you decide its dirty enough. I like to leave it for a few hundred miles with one filter change in between. Good oil cost more then filters!

Dad used to go down to the GM Fairfax plant in the late sixties and watch GTO's come off the assembly line. They tried to see who could get longest burn outs coming out the doors of the plant! There was no going easy because they were new!

Joe

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Joe/Jerry is right. Break in is all about what you have or how you built the engine.

Jerry you and Joe sure bring back memories for me. When my brother finished building a racing engine I could hardly wait till it was on his dyno. Man, how he would twist those engines. I remember once I told him, on an experimental engine that I believe it was enough and the engine was begging. He said "go or blow". Good Gosh, you should have seen the pieces flying around inside "the torture room".

Joe, back in 65/66 I worked at Poole Chev. in Gaffney and I serviced most all new cars from Corvairs to Corvettes. Back then the dealer(my job)had to put in the carpets/hub caps/ checked engine ect ect and then ROAD TEST them. That called for a trip down the "draytonville straight". I sat in some fast cars and two always comes to mind. A special built 442 old with two fours and a special order stingray. I still remember the feeling. The Corvette "scared me" before I ever got it in fourth gear good.
Those were the days.

..... didn't mean to hijack the post. Just sweet sweet memories!!! Let me tell you about a Corvair Monza.........


Last edited by Achipmunk; 04/19/2012 5:15 PM. Reason: spelllling

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,221
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,221
It mostly comes down to drive it normal with out getting to high of rpm for to long of time. The cause for worry is the first start up and cam break-in. Lube, lube, and more cam lube is the key! Use good known break-in oil, not to heavy (10-30, 10-40), zinc additive if the oil is not made for break-in, and keep it cool! Once started, get the rpm up ASAP and leave it, 15-20 minutes. Dial in the tune up after!

How many new rental cars you think were run hard!

Joe

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 266
S
Custom Title
Custom Title
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 266
Do NOT baby it. Like the others have said, do not overheat it and vary the speed, but you HAVE to put your foot in it. You really should do several full throttle pulls up through the gears after everything is up to temp. Cylinder pressure is what pushes the rings against the cylinder wall. The higher you get the cylinder pressure, the harder it pushes on the rings. If you baby it, it can take forever for the rings to seat. Using this procedure you will get a better ring seal as well, which means more power!


49 Chevy 3600
65 Chevy K10
48 International KB-1 Service Truck
55 Willys CJ5 - Chevy 331 powered
26 Model T Roadster Rat Rod
70 Tucker Sno-Cat 442-A
96 Dodge 3500 Cummins dually flatbed x-cab 4x4
06 Jeep Wrangler LJ rock crawler
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0