The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Bill Hanlon, Bogart's Truck, TexasA&M48Truck, Donf, kades51, jmoore, Gdads51, 2 invisible), 93 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,379
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84051 10/11/2007 12:44 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 117
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 117
I am replacing the stock axle in my 57 3100. I have all 8 nuts off the U-bolts, and the forward u-bolts out, but I can't seem to seperate the rear u-bolts from the curved shackles. They look like they should come apart, but after several blows with my heaviest hammer, no dice. I even thought the angle might be pinching the shackle or something, so I moved the axle up and tried again, but no luck. Tried a search and didn't see anything. Anyone?
Thanks!
Dan ohwell


my truck gets better every day...every PAYDAY smile
#84052 10/11/2007 2:00 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I take it you are referring to the lower support bracket. They get rusted in pretty good but if the front came out they shouldn,t be to far away. If you have a torch some heat would loosen it up. If not some spray rust loosener & a big hammer is it. You are probably going to replace the u-bolts so hitting them on the ends is ok.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#84053 10/11/2007 5:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
If Im thinking about this right, can you put the frame on blocks, and jack up the rear end so that the leaf spring pressure pushes them apart?

Im sure I wont earn any points on safety here...


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
#84054 10/11/2007 8:47 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The leaf springs are bolted together. You can put it on stands & lower the rear end. That may help.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#84055 10/14/2007 4:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 117
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 117
Well... i went to Harbor Freight tools today and purchased one big 'ol punch. I got the rear shackle/u-bolt undone on the passenger side by prying the ubolt upward with a giant prybar. I got the drivers side undone with the punch resting on the top of the shackle and hitting it repeatedly with the bf hammer smile on a side note, I bought a sandblaster and some medium SiC blast media. After I got her together, it didn't take long to get the cowl panel, upper valence and some misc. small parts looking new again! This site is awesome. Thanks for all the help so far!
Dano


my truck gets better every day...every PAYDAY smile

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0