The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (lumbersawyer, Otto Skorzeny, DHedrick), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,413
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#83957 10/09/2007 3:38 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
I'm changing the differential and transmission oil in my '46. I was thinking about adding the Lucas additive to the transimission after reading some old posts on the subject. I went to NAPA but didn't see any Lucas product specifically for differentials. Maybe they were out of stock.

Anyway, what should I look for and what ratio would I use for a 4spd? The book says the refill will take 5.5 pints and I've already drained about 6. If I'm not mistaken that extra .5 looked like rusty water, how would that get in there? What's your take?

Kyle


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
#83958 10/09/2007 4:46 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
I believe the Lucas gear additive is the same for both transmissions and differentials. I have it in both but cannot tell you the mix ratio offhand. It should be specified in their brochure.
I have found it to be excellent, or my shifting is getting better!
As to water in the trans the only thing I can think would be a leaking cover gasket. However I am no expert and someone else may have a better idea.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#83959 10/10/2007 4:34 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Yes, the additive is the same. I run a 70/30 mix in mine. Very smooth shifting.


Bill Burmeister
#83960 10/10/2007 4:52 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I also like it, and many of my friends swear by it.

Seems to quiet things down a bit.

I filled the rear hubs with straight Lucas additive on a 55 COE truck. The rear axle had water in it, and marginal to poor hub bearings, I did inspect and clean them first. They survived the tow from WA to NY, at times over 70 mph, and the hubs always stayed cool to the touch.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#83961 10/11/2007 2:50 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 117
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 117
I run it in my 69 Camaro and like the results. As for water in the pumpkin? Sounds strange to me. The only way water could get in there is through the vent if the cap was busted off? If the seal/gasket was bad, then oil would be draining out, not water getting in. let me know if you figure it out...
Dano


my truck gets better every day...every PAYDAY smile
#83962 10/11/2007 2:57 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Actually the differential is fine, the oil was a consistant dirty grey. The transmission fluid on the other hand was creamy white/brown with about a cup of a lighter weight rusty substance I take to be water. That stuff appears to separate to the top. After that I ran some light weight oil through to clean it up some before I refill it for good. Tomorrow I'm going to O'Reilly for some Lucas.

Now that I think about it. This truck may have been flooded in the flood of '93 here in St. Louis. I think the previous owner said that he had to move alot of stuff due to that. That could explain water in the transmission.


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0