The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 81 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9
Hi, New owner and new to the forum...Looks like a great place to find help!

I just bought a 51 chevy 1/2t. I'm having fun getting better acquainted with it. Out of about a million questions I have, I thought I'd start with these...

It's apparently now my wife's daily driver. I figured that out because she's left her brand new Accord in the driveway and is taking the truck to work every day. So any recommendations on a good source for insurance?

It looks like I'll be doing the kingpins soon. Lots of vendors sell the kits. Are all kingpin kits the same in terms of quality? Or is there one particular one I should go with?

The drivers side door doesn't have a lock. And by that, I mean it doesn't have a hole in the door skin for a lock assembly and no slot on the side to get the lock keeper in. Is that normal or did a dreaded previous owner shave the lock? If it's normal, how do I lock the door?

Thanks for help (and patience with a newbie!)

Greg

Last edited by Woogeroo; 03/24/2012 10:56 AM. Reason: added year/ton to topic
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
The drivers door does not have a key hole - this is by design. You lock it by pushing the inside door handle forward. To unlock it you would have to go through the passenger side!


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Your local autoparts store should be able to get kingpins for you. I picked up mine from orielly's auto parts.

I got a great rate with Sate Farm for insurance. My other vehicles are with them. I have tow also. Antique or Classic Motor Vehicle


Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Bigtonka is right. Most older trucks (not just Bolts) had a keyed lock only on the passenger side. Do a search on the topic. This has been discussed here many times, including many speculations as to what the reason was for doing it that way.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
For 45 years about every 47-51 AD we worked on left the shop with a drivers door lock. The 52 and up just takes a right side handle swap but the 51 and back takes some fabbing. I'm 75 now and no longer do them but have pictures on my photo site of one done on a 50. It's best done on one before any body and paint work is done. I do not know how to put text with a photo but maybe you can garner some info from the pictures. The later ones used a hex shaft from the key cylinder to the locking lever which is better. Scroll down to the 9th row or 41st photo to see a step by step of the process. http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d41/coilover/


Evan
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
On the kingpin kits, do some research. I've not bought any, but I've read that some come with plastic bushings instead of brass.

Here is an old saying that explains the lack of a driver's door outside lock. Curb side, safe side. Street side, suicide. Some older models of cars, like the Model T, didn't even have a driver's door.

Since your wife likes the truck so well, maybe now would be a good time to get another one... smile


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

Welcome to the 'bolt!

Be sure to 'explore' the many links posted way up at the top!

Also, peruse the many forums and their sub-forums to really get a feel of everything that is going on around here.

-W

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 220
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 220
I got my insurance from Hagerty. They're in MI and they only insure classic cars. Insurance on my '53 3100 is $100/yr, although yours might be somewhat higher because the truck gets daily use.

Chris

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
Don't buy kingpins like I did until you find out if you might need oversize ones. I now have a set of standard ones I can't use. Research what you want and where you can get them, then find out what you need by taking it apart. Dave


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Welcome to the Stovebolt Page and congrats on getting your wife a cool old truck! I agree with fab51, now you'll have to get yourself one! smile
Peruse the links above and visit the many vendor websites. Also visit Keith Hardy's site full of Chevy info.
Do you know yet if your truck is very original or if it has a 235 update? Is it a 3-speed or 4? 5-window? Please post some photos on a photo hosting site then put a link here. We love old truck pictures! Good luck.


Professional Novice
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Welcome to the bolt from another Calif trucker. NorCal? SoCal?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0