The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (dunfire, Wayne67vert), 93 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,360
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#83806 10/07/2007 4:23 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Quick question about a remote full flow filter on a 261. Since the outlets in the block a 1/2" in size shouldthe oil hose be 1/2" or is 1/8" acceptable? I think it would be safer if the lines to the filter and all the connectors are 1/2" in size. My local parts store said 1/8 inch connections wouldn't hurt the newly rebuilt motor. I figurd I'd ask the experts on the Stovebolt site.

Bill


#83807 10/07/2007 6:23 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
Restriction on 1/2" lines is less than .010 pounds per foot. On 3/16", it is roughly 2.2 pounds per foot. I can only estimate that a 1/8" line would provide over 5 pounds per foot restriction. I think that would be too much. Definately much higher than G.M. engineering originally calculated.
Are you sure you don't mean 3/8"? That is about .025 pounds per foot. I will probably install that size using steel lines.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#83808 10/07/2007 7:20 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
1/8 would be OK if your engine set up for a by-pass filter, but would be insufficient for a full-flow, that is to say that if all the oil from the pump goes through the filter before going to the rest of the engine. 261s have been set-up both ways.

#83809 10/07/2007 8:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
They go into that in some detail in part 2 of this stovebolt engine build, Bill

http://www.webrodder.com/index.php?page=showStories&search=stove


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
#83810 10/07/2007 8:28 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
If your 261 has 1/2" NPT holes for the oil filter lines, you have a 1958-62 261 that was set up for a full-flow oil filtration system.

Do you have the original full-flow canister? If so, it will also have the 1/2" NPT fittings. Go to another parts store (a NAPA that makes hoses, should be able to do it). Or, look for a heavy truck repair shop.

#83811 10/07/2007 8:45 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
I would not go smaller, it would restict oil flow, and I would be concerned that the higher pressure would damage the filter.

There are many oil folter housings that can be found online or on eBay. Keep looking, you will find what you are looking for.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#83812 10/07/2007 10:16 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 81
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 81
If your engine is set up for ther full flow filter, you will definitely want to stay with the same size all the way. As a matter of interest,I replaced the old style feral fitting lines on my filter with hydraulic lines which are rated at 5000 psi. It also carried a high temp rating but I don't rememer what it was. I carried the old line, complete with fittings, to our local Grainger store and told them I wanted to duplicate it with a hydraulic line. It was not that expensive.
meansam

#83813 10/07/2007 11:36 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Thanks for the answers!!!! My motor is done and ready to be installed in the firetruck in the morning. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the first rebuild that was done back in November 2005. I think I've figured it out. It was the oil filter(235 by-pass cannister) and the oil lines that restricted the oil flow to the engine once it was running.

Today as I looked at the canister filter and the oil lines, I noticed just how small the diameters were. At one point, it looks like a large pin hole and nothing like a 1/2 flow the motor would need to keep from scaring the bearings and crankshaft as happened to mine. Even the by-pass fliter cannister had a very tiny hole in it for oil flow. Back in 2005, I told the motor shop I was going to use a filter so they put in the lines and cannister filter I gave them.

In the morning, I'm going to pick up 1/2 lines and a remote filter adapter so this time around, my motor will get full oil pressure and flow.

A very expensive and time consuming experiance... I've learned even more today. I want to say thanks again. I think I've got it now...


#83814 10/07/2007 11:55 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I used 1/2" nitrile lines on my modified 235 block. The bulk hose and Russell -8AN Twist-tite fittings are available from Summit/Jegs and possibly your local parts supplier. Also a spin-on filter relocation mount that allowed me to route the lines away from the exhaust pipes. I used the 3/4X 16 thread version so I could use a filter (Purolator PL-30001) with a built-in bypass valve should the filter ever clog up.

The Twist-Tite fittings will not pop off or leak but can be re-used by cutting the line. They've been on my truck for almost a year with absolutely no problems. I have pics in my Webshots "Tips and Tricks" album that might be of interest for your install. Hope this helps.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#83815 10/08/2007 12:16 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Thanks and I'm looking at lots of pictures before morning arrives!


#83816 10/08/2007 12:51 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
I just did the oil lines on my late 261 this weekend.

Oil Filter Lines

I'm going with a modern spin-on filter with built-in bypass valve, mounted directly to the block and double-flared 1/2" copper tubing.
The lines route behind both exhaust pipes.
Safer, more permanent and choice of quality filters.


On the road every day...
1952 Truck - 235
1948 Coupe - 261
#83817 10/08/2007 1:20 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
That is exactly what I want as I can paint it to match the motor and it will be less noticeable. I'll see what the hydrolic shop can build for me in the morning. How did you mount it to the block? Got any instructions, measurements or plans? Anything will help. Thanks.


#83818 10/08/2007 2:25 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
I used a painted steel plate extension to mount the spin-on mount to the side motor mounts.
Location depends on the space you got.

Here\'s another view

I wanted to replace the filter from below without any obstruction.
Got a little extra length tubing to make a few practice flares and bends.
Learned a lot doing this job.
Looks easy when it's all done, but took a lot of planning, measuring and finding the right fittings and copper.
Sure takes some practice to make good and clean flares and bends.


On the road every day...
1952 Truck - 235
1948 Coupe - 261
#83819 10/08/2007 3:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Thanks.

Bill


#83820 10/08/2007 4:43 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
On the road again,

That is a very 'sanitary' setup...and the filter is easy to access. I can appreciate your planning. smile

Stuart

#83821 10/08/2007 8:57 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
On the Road's looks like the same set-up I did on mine. I used brass fittings with stainless steel pipe. Made up a plate to mount the remote spin-on adapter as well.

Look in the engine rebuild album.

http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
#83822 10/08/2007 11:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
here are a couple of pictures that show the 1/16" restriction that I found in my return to the engine oil line from the filter: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2486684590080243953jOoyuc

It is no wonder my crankshaft and bearings were scored and making noise. I'm glad I discovered this before it happened again...

I've added 1/2" oil line connections in the replacement.


#83823 10/08/2007 11:49 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
This has been a long thread, and I sure don't want to rehash old news, but isn't a bypass style filer suppose to have this restricting orifice in it. I was under the impression that the pump forced 90% of the oil to the mains, rods etc, while a small amount was shunted off to pass through this filter.

The device that made sure the oil took the path of least resistance...the main oil gallery and not the filter, was this little restricting orifice.

Is this not how it works? :confused:

Stuart

#83824 10/08/2007 11:57 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
In mine, there was no by-pass. It was full pressure directly thru that 1/16th restriction.


#83825 10/09/2007 12:06 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
If your system is suppose to be "full flow", that restriction sure would kill the bearings in short order. How could this happen?

Stuart

#83826 10/09/2007 12:15 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I used a by-pass oil filter And my motor installer ran lines from the by-pass filter cannister to the block. I guess that I misunderstood the full flow vs. by-pass oil system. Finally, I think my motor installer was clueless about the diverter on the 261 block. They know about the 235 but a full flow 261 is a little different.

I just had the motor rebuilt a second time and I found the 1/16th restriction on my block again when I brought it back to the firehouse to be reinstalled. This time, I understood what I was doing and changed it to 1/2" connections before the motor was damaged a second time!


#83827 10/09/2007 2:35 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Do you have the dowel pin pushed in the block? If you do Don't start the engine without the oil lines connected, or you will be back where you started from. If you don't have the filter run a line from one 1/2 inch fitting to the other so the oil can get to the crankshaft. The plug pushed in blocks the main oil galley to the crank and send it to the filter. If there is noway for the oil to get from the 1/2 port in the front to the 1/2 port in the rear, you will be replaceing the bearings again.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
#83828 10/09/2007 3:02 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Yes the dowel is in. Thanks for the warning and heads up. I understand that I have to connect the 1/2" oil outlets. In the morning, I'm going to add a full flow modern spin on remote adapter once I put the motor back in the firetruck. I didn't want the lines to hang up as I was trying to fit the motor back in two the frame.


#83829 10/14/2007 6:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I got the oil filter mount installed: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2587806810080243953dZeZCu


#83830 10/14/2007 9:26 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
Bill;
Are you using a remote filter kit from NAPA? The fittings look like what I originally got from them. They look like the ones that use Goodyear high pressure/high temp black rubber hose. If that is what you are using, make sure that the lines are well away from the exhaust manifold as well as the down pipes. I used the NAPA kit and when it was all done and I put Patrick's duals on the Fentons, the rubber hoses were only 1/2 inch from the down pipes. Too close for my liking even with heat shield over the tubing. I took the hoses out, changed to dual compression fittings and installed hard SST pipe. Just wanted to make sure that your hoses (if that's what you are using) don't get too hot, burn through and leave you on the side of the road with no oil!!


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
#83831 10/14/2007 10:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I have the same concerns. I have the 1/2" black rubber hoses but I didn't get any of it from NAPA. I'm not ready to start the motor until I get the radiator shroud to fit and mounted properly. Once that is in, I intend to run the motor with the rubber hoses just long enough to make sure it runs well(a couple of days) then change the oil, filter and put in the hard metal custom fit oil lines. I have a firefighter friend who works at a local hydrolic line shop who will make my metal lines for me.


Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 77
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 77
I came up with this setup for my '61 235, it's from a VW Microbus air-cooled motor. Easy interface adapter plate and away we go, Will fit lines shortly.
Attachments
20130807_185353.jpg (212.63 KB, 42 downloads)


"The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government." - Thomas Paine

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0