The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Southerntruck, Ponchogl, Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, 1955 1 Series, fonz8261, 2 invisible), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#829554 02/25/2012 5:30 AM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Ive got a 55 235 with fenton headers and dual intake. I wondering if the low flow oil filter does enough good to re-install. If I change the oil every 2500 is the filter system worth using?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I say no, but you will get just as many who say yes.
GM did not even think they were necessary, they were an option.
Interestingly 1927 and 28 Chev's had a oil filter as standard equipment. Then not until the 194 Nova in 1962 did a car or 1963 light truck come with an oil filter as standard equipment on a 6 cylinder.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
IMHO any filtration is better than none. Plus they look cool. grin


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
With the proper filter element, a bypass filter does a better job of cleaning up oil than a full-flow. It just filters the oil a little at a time. Since a full-flow filter has to pass enough oil through it to lubricate the engine, it only strains out the rocks, marbles, and other big stuff.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Interesting...so what I'm hearing is that for a daily driver, its not necessary but probably good to have the filter to extend engine life. Will the stock filter attach to a fenton dual intake or will it require modification or have to be mounted in a different location?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
I'd suggest getting a set of longer flex lines made up and mounting it on the inner fender on the driver's side. Just about any hydraulic shop can custom-fabricate suitable lines, using your present ones as a pattern, and just increasing the length of the flex hoses.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You will be surprised how much cleaner the oil looks on the dipstick. I just put one on my 56 with 235.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Thanks for the advice. I found a fender mounted filter in a boneyard...I don't think its a stock option for the half ton. This filter's about twice as long as the others I've seen. If I can find a drop in filter to fit...it may be a cool option.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h416/ssgummersall07/IMG_20120225_155149.jpg

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I replace my stock filter on my 54/235 with a remote filter on the fire wall and the gauge would not read correctly so i unhooked the filter and have not run it for the last 3 years. i did have the original installed on my fentons with no problems.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Scott,

It would be interesting to hear if someone has installed a canister filter on a Fenton dual-carb intake manifold. The Fenton intake manifold sticks out further than the Offenhauser that I had (a canister was easily mounted on that). I could not find a way to mount on the Fenton dual intake the long canister full-flow oil filter used on 58-63 261 engines.

Regarding GM's thinking about oil filters, it was always a factory option for 216s, 235s, and early 261s. It must have been considered to be useful but not necessary (except for later big Chevy truck 261 engines)? Also, oil changes were more frequent back then (2000 miles or less, depending on driving conditions).

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
Back when the filters were an option the engines were being overhauled at 50K miles because the bearings were shot. My Pop raised a family of 7 kids being a mechanic in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
Yes a bypass filter has smaller pores, (somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 microns (bypass) vs 12 microns (full flow) a micron is a millionth a a meter, about .00004 of an inch you would have to have some awfully tight clearances for a 12 micron chunk to cause any damage) but a full flow filter filters ALL the oil before it gets to the bearing. Whereas a bypass might get 10% of the oil, while the other 90% that is actually going to the bearings have no filtration at all. And true all of the oil might eventually get ran through the filter, but at the same time it is running through the engine picking up contamination that stands a 90% chance of NOT getting filtered out before being used again. This is one of the reasons a car with 100,000 miles on it was nearly unheard of back then. But a bypass filter does pick up a lot of muck and has to help some, and would be period correct if that sort of thing matters to you. Myself I converted my 216 to a full flow filter because that is what I wanted to do.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
I see a write up on converting in the Tech Tips. Is what you did similar?

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by brokenhead
but a full flow filter filters ALL the oil before it gets to the bearing.

If this were true you would find numerous instances where engines seized due to a dirty filter but you won’t find this at all. Cut apart a few “full flow” filters and you will find a spring and disc that allow the oil go by with no filtration any time the in/out pressure differential passes a certain point which is much less than you might think. I’m with Jerry in that a good bypass filter will outperform spin on’s and believe the risk of one tiny chip or shaving left behind from drilling/tapping the block negates any benefit of conversion. I run an Amsoil bypass on my 235 with an efficiency rating of 98.7% at 2 microns.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I run a Frantz toilet paper bypass filter on my truck. It's so fine, it strains out quarks.

I also drink altogether too much coffee me-thinks.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Back when I was selling an upsized Frantz-type filter for 18-wheelers, they claimed it would filter down to the 2/10 micron particle size. The element they were merchandising fit the Luberfiner 750 housing, and we just changed the filter, never the main sump oil, and added enough oil to account for what was lost while changing the filter element. That was usually about 1.5 gallons on a 15-gallon system.

We would do an oil analysis at every filter change, which was usually at 10,000 or 15,000 mile intervals. At 100,000 miles, the oil was still testing within normal limits for severe service. I was impressed!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by Mr. Lang
It's so fine, it strains out quarks.
Which flavor?


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I only seem to get strange, top, and charm flavours. Which is lucky, I find "they're" always after me lucky charms. Yuck yuck yuck.

I see we have a well informed audience around here!

I do love the Frantz filter. I had one on my last stove bolt too. The filters sure are cheap! I love the period type accessories.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0