The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,454
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#832073 03/04/2012 3:05 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
I am cleaning up a recently rebuilt 235 (58 casting number) and I have a few gasket questions.

Is there an o-ring or gasket under the distributor? Or do you just use a bit of silicone?

I can't find the thermostat HOUSING gasket where it attaches to the head. It's a retangular gasket. I might have to make one? I know they are included in a full set or a head gasket set. Any ideas?


One last question for this post. I have no problems getting top dead center and alighning the dizzy/rotor, however where should number one position be located as i am looking at the engine from the front? Right now it is at toward the number 2 cylinder. I hope I am asking this clear enough?

Thank you.

Last edited by DMGfifty; 03/04/2012 3:06 PM.

David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
There is a groove for an O ring on the distributor housing, but since it's in constant motion from the action of the vacuum advance, it would probably wear out pretty quickly. Most of the distributors I've seen don't have the ring there, so I'm going to assume most of them wear and disentigrate.

It doesn't really matter which distributor cap tower is used for the #1 plug wire, as long as the firing order is correct as the other wires are inserted. The correct firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 in a clockwise direction. My Motor Magazine service manual shows the #1 position at the cap tower just clockwise from the terminal where the wire to the points attaches.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 116
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 116
On my 248 (and any other engine I've worked on) nothing under the distributor, the gasket behind the thermo housing was nothing special, you should be able to make one easily, #1 on my dist. is at about 1:30 as you're looking at the dist. from that side of the engine, so if I'm understanding you, I think you're close. Hope this helps


1955 Second Series GMC
"Done - A 50 Year Journey"
Follow in the DITY

-- No one said it was going to be easy
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Chevrolet never used an O ring on the shaft. A lot of rebuilt distributors come with one, but if installed that way will lock the twisting action needed for the vacuum advance.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Thanks folks. Appreciate the feedback.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I believe #1 should be at about the 5-6 o'clock position.
I could not find a better picture but in this cutaway picture you can see #5 wire. #1 is just before #5 in the firing order. 153624. SHOP MANUAL
Although any position will work if put in time.
HERE IS ANOTHER PIC. Fig #6

Last edited by Pre '68 Dave; 03/04/2012 6:21 PM. Reason: Added info

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 26
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 26
the thermostat gasket is in the truck shop cat. truckandcarshop.com

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
The thermostat gasket you can get at any FLAPS.


Pete

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Thanks again folks. Just to clearify, I'm looking for the thermostat housing gasket, where it's bolts to the head. I think I can just make one.


Also, I think you are right on the rotor position for number one. Easy to turn and fix. I also have my coil up instead of down. I wonder what the reasoning of facing the top downward? Interesting.



David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I always like the coil mounted with the wires up. I have seen to many coil wires fall out the other way.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Dave PM sent


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
You can get the housing gasket at any FLAPS.


Pete


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0