The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roy Rodgers, Oswald, Brian Moore), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#831562 03/02/2012 4:21 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
Does this heater shut-off valve look like something installed by the factory, dealer or by the p.o.? Did the basic round-core heater have a shut-off?
Shut-Off Valve Picture



Dave
www.fallenherosdreamride.org
all give some
MY SON GAVE ALL

The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216
In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Those were an aftermarket item. It could have been installed by the dealer or anyone for that fact. Heaters were a dealer installed option for many years. I don't know the year that heaters finally became a standard factory installed item.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
Thanks Tiny.


Dave
www.fallenherosdreamride.org
all give some
MY SON GAVE ALL

The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216
In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
I don't know for sure, but I'd love to find one of those.


"My tires and tubes are doing fine, but the air is showing through" smile

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I thought that they were available and sold as a Chevrolet Accessory? I know that they were sold by FLAPS also.

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
For 1935-1939 the heater shut off valve had a hex nut/bolt with a ball on the end that turned in to shut it off instead of the wing nut that was used 1940-up. GM part #985079. I use mine in the summer to shut off the water to the heater. They were dealer accessories and aftermarket products. They were used on both the cars and trucks. I've seen them on the water pumps, and the thermostat housing. Does anyone know exactly where they go?


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
Here you go.

Last edited by cletis; 03/03/2012 4:52 AM. Reason: deleted ebay link
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by rickmg
Does anyone know exactly where they go?
I don't know if there's an "official" mounting spot but I put mine on the pump. That way the pressure is off of the heater core when I have it shut down. If you mount it on the thermostat housing the core is pressurized whenever the engine is running. Most times it won't make a difference but if there's a weak spot in your core..... ohwell


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Originally Posted by Tiny
Originally Posted by rickmg
Does anyone know exactly where they go?
I don't know if there's an "official" mounting spot but I put mine on the pump. That way the pressure is off of the heater core when I have it shut down. If you mount it on the thermostat housing the core is pressurized whenever the engine is running. Most times it won't make a difference but if there's a weak spot in your core..... ohwell
You have it backwards Tony. The pressure comes from the below the therm. & returns to the water pump.
I believe those or similar are still available from the aftermarket.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret.
You have it backwards Tony. The pressure comes from the below the therm. & returns to the water pump.
I believe those or similar are still available from the aftermarket.

Heaven knows I'm wrong my share of the time but..... ....it looks like the pressure side is off of the pump to me.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
The photo in my first post is where the valve was located prior to restoration. I have no reason to believe it was not the original location as this was a very original and complete truck.

Tiny, the cooling system diagram you linked to shows the water flowing from the radiator to the water pump, i.e. inlet/suction. After it flows through the engine it exits at the thermostat, i.e. pressure side. (the actual pressure side of the pump is the outlet mated to the block)


Last edited by FallenHerosDad; 03/02/2012 11:24 PM.

Dave
www.fallenherosdreamride.org
all give some
MY SON GAVE ALL

The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216
In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The pump is pushing the water. While it pushes the water through the engine it also is pushing it through the heater hose. The pressure will be highest closest to the pump rather than after traveling through restrictions of all of the internal passages will it not? The suction is on the inlet side. The outlet to the heater is on the exit side of the impeller.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
On further reflection I believe you guys are right and I'm wrong. Can someone pass the salt & pepper, I think I have some crow to eat. blush


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
Sooooo, the hottest coolant is coming from the thermostat housing, going back through the radiator and cooling off. The pressure is created from the pump. The pressure is the lowest going to the pump. The heater hose inlet and lower radiator hose inlet on the pump are directing the coolest coolant back to the pump. With that, I would assume, the heater control valve goes on the thermostat housing. Shutting off the hottest and more pressurized side of the system. But then, I don't run a pressurized cap on the radiator either. Sigh!!!


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Growing up I'd see them used more to by pass the leaking heater core....as best I can remember. I think you can still get one at a local FLAPS store...or they can order you one with free shipping.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
My 37 has a similar shutoff and since it had a Arvin heater its probably aftermarket.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
They never were any good. They would either freeze up or leak.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0