The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, TUTS 59, Guitplayer, IHPWR, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 180 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Hello all,

I have a '57 Chevrolet (car) with a 235 straight six. I just installed a factory overdrive and love it but because of the free wheeling option it means I come up to red lights as though I have my foot on the clutch the whole time.

When I come up to the red lights this way the car wants to die. It will start back. I think perhaps the carb (original 1 barrel) needs some adjustment. Does anyone have a good description of how to tune one of these carbs? I don't know much about how to set up a carb.

Thanks,
Brandon

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
here'a a manual, that covers the operation of the OD in the transmission chapter, and also the carb, if it does need attention

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I don't like red lights either

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
I think the 55 used a different carb. I guess it would still be the same basic operation though, right?

Thanks,
Brandon

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the manual linked is for the 2nd series 55-59 truck, any differences from the 57 car will be trivial, transmissions are near identical and carb function the same

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Alrighty. Thanks

Brandon

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 12
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 12
I had the same problem in freewheeling mode when coming to a stop. I found my idle mixture set too lean. I adjusted the idle mixture slightly richer to solve the problem.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0