Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
10 members (John L., Otto Skorzeny, TUTS 59, Gray_Ghost, mvigo, TS3600, joe apple, 55shaker, JW51, PAUL Berardi),
100
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,083 Posts1,056,329 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 25 | I'm looking to buy a new ring/pinion set to reduce my final gear ratio for highway cruising. 3.55:1 ratios are pretty common but I found a couple of gear shops that offer 3.38:1 ratio for these 1/2 ton 8.2 dropout rear-ends. Here is one: http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/2011catalog/Pages13.pdfI crunched the numbers for cruising along at 65 mph (typical speed limit in my area), and 3.38 would get my RPMs down to 2650 from 3000+ that I'm currently getting with the stock 3.9:1 gears. Anyone run 3.38:1 with the ole thriftmaster 235? My bone stock 235 feels like it's strong enough to handle a taller ratio. Any other suggestions that wont break the bank? I've got a granny 1st gear, so I'm not worried about take offs and I'm not going to be climbing any mountains or towing anything around. Just looking to give my weekend warrior a little better highway manners. I've considered the T5 upgrade path, but I really like the stomp to start pedal ('55), and the three on the tree is just fine with me. Besides, I've got such an original truck that I'd hate to modify it too much. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the 3.55's fit the AD years, the 3.38's fit the Task Force years ..... which series do you have? either work fine with a 235 if you're not hauling heavy loads .... neither option is cheap compared to finding a good used original 3 speed OD trans
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 25 | I've been looking for the 3 speed OD but everything I've seen is overpriced. A gear upgrade is cheap compared to the OD 3 speeds I've seen.
What doe you mean by Task Force vs. AD? I've got a '55 1/2 (second series) 3100 1/2 ton. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 25 | Ah... Duh! AD is advanced design. Just figured that out. It is a task force, so I'm assuming I can go with the 3.38 gear upgrade. Right? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the 47-55.1 is the Advance Design series, the 55.2-59 is the Task Force series, which is what you have ... the BW or Saginaw 3 speed OD's can be found for half the cost of a gear change if you look a bit ... check with Patricks for either the gears or the OD Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 25 | Thanks. Patrick's is close too. I'll call them to see if they have any ODs in stock. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | Why isn't there a 3.38 or lower than 3.55 available for the AD trucks?
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Why isn't there a 3.38 or lower than 3.55 available for the AD trucks?  the gearsets are different for the open and closed rears - the 3.38 originated at GM in 58 [as well as one other ratio I think] as a response to mileage concerns resulting from fuel price increases in the mid-50's, they've been available in the aftermarket ever since Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 | @Chenzo, Welcome! Another option is putting a T-5 behind your 235. There is plenty of information here and on other boards on how to do this. Those who have done it seem to love it. THis is just something else to consider, but it is way cheaper than other OD approaches or rear end changes. My 2 cents!
Best wishes,
Les | | |
| |