The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (lumbersawyer, 78buckshot), 167 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,474
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
How can I keep the flywheel from spinning while torquing it to spec? I don't really have access to help anytime soon and would like to take care of this myself. Any suggestions?


58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Clamp a pair of vise grips onto the ring gear, and let them stop against the engine block as you torque the bolts. A "C" clamp on the flywheel will do the same thing.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
Done a lot of them that way. A screw driver or pry bar jammed into the ring gear can cause a burr.

Last edited by hankrags; 02/07/2012 6:35 AM. Reason: typo

1954 Chevy Half-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Shutterfly
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
How about using a screw driver in the pressure plate assembly?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Originally Posted by truckernix
How about using a screw driver in the pressure plate assembly?

By the time that's on there, the bolts he's trying to torque will be covered by the clutch plate.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
A 4-6" chain, one end bolted to the flywheel where the pressure plate goes and one bolted to the flywheel housing. I do it all the time... even have a picture.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/2838480110102980561KKJENH

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
"I love it when a plan comes together...."

Thanks alot fellas, I appreciate the help.

And one of these days I will update my Photobucket(good-times...whatever the site is called...) so ya'll can see the new setup.

Last edited by ApacheFiend; 02/07/2012 6:44 PM. Reason: miss stated something

58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
That chain idea is a great one! Many moons ago I did the big screwdriver in the flywheel teeth method and wound up scraping some metal off of the bellhousing and into my eyes. I bought a flywheel tool after that, but the chain looks like the ideal low buck way to go.

LJ

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Oh man, for some reason I was thinking of the pressure plate bolts!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I built these. I used old ring gear but you could just grind some teeth to fit. They work great and take about 5-minutes to install if you have to pull starter and about 30 seconds if you don't.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2657411170102454676xaEfmI
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2257528360102454676zxeIoi

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
Brad, great idea! I went with the chain method since I had some readily available. I put a pressure plate bolt in, hooked the chain onto that and rapped the other end with the hook around my spring and it held it fine. Torquing the pressure plate wasn't so easy though...


58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0