The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (69Cuda), 83 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#817410 01/18/2012 2:56 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
I purchased a used Ranco heater valve complete with functioning bellows/capillary tube. The problem is that the temperature adjustment cam/off latch will not "grab" the spring tensioner screw. It is a pressed on, knurled fit that has been stripped. So, I am going to attempt a repair (not sure how right now), but my main question is how was the spring/cam adjusted when new.

The cam will only turn about 7/8 of a turn from "off" to warmest setting. The spring tension adjustment screw has much more travel. I noticed in Denny's photos of his heater valve that the spring looks compressed about half way through it travel in the warmest setting. If this is the case, then the spring is never relaxed when the valve is off and the latch in the off position would have a much harder time "grabbing" the pin/boss. Here are Denny's photos. Hope you dont mind me using your photos smile

In the photos you can see the cam in the warmest position hitting the pin/boss that stops its travel. you can also see the spring cap plate halfway in the slot keeping it in position...this represents half its travel from rest or significantly more than one turn of the adjusting screw/cam.

After studying the Ranco valve, I can understand why they continue to function with a broken bellows. The bellows job is to override the spring and close the valve if the temperature climbs too high, thereby providing some sense of automated control. Without the bellows, the driver/passenger has to maintain temperature control by turning the temperature knob.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Full travel on my plunger fails to seal off coolant flow- there is always some degree of flow regardless of full range movement. When I learned this, I realized the valve provides very little adjustment and I no longer worry about tweaking its operation.

Bill

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
That may be true, but I would like to get it the best I can initially. The valve, if working properly should significantly reduce coolant flow to the point of providing little heat. I would surmise that a valve that has no temperature control is not working properly or the valve and seat have deposits preventing it from closing.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
The valve has four little prongs on it,they get bent then don't close all the way.To get to it,heat the solder until it melts and pry the end cap off.This will allow you to remove the valve and bend the prongs back into place. control valve
Reinstall the valve,use your propane torch and solder and sweat the cap and body back together.Be careful not to use too much solder.


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Tim is dead on. Although this pic is a little blurred you can see a prong bent just as I took it apart.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/52Panel/000_0200.jpg

In my photo bucket is also a pic inside the body. that little valve is "metal to metal" but if its right it will shut the water flow off pretty dang good.
With a prong bent it will restrict how much the valve closes.
Hope this helps some to.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
When I rebuild them,I bend them like in my picture posted.They shut off nice and tight.The end is like a swivel,I let the end soak in pb blaster for a couple days,they do get seized over the years.I assume that is why the prongs get bent.

Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
I inspected the water valve and the prongs are not bent nor have deposits or excessive corrosion. My issue is the spring tension adjustment. Can someone look at their valve and let me know if the spring is completely relaxed when the valve is off. Better yet snap a photo of the spring when the valve is latched in the off position. Thanks.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Here's my related question.........is it common for the end facing the engine to leak? Mine has begun to leak even when cold and it appears to be coming from the end. Looks like solder there. Is more solder at that seam the answer?


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
No, generally they leak around the stem seal.

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Thanks Denny.


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0