The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wally / Montana, Guitplayer, Jon G), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Hello. I've been registered and looking around the site for a while and figured I should introduce myself before I start posting in the specific forums.
My Forester Green '50 3600 pickup has been in the family since January 2, 1953 when my Grandpa paid $850 for it from a refinery. (My uncle found the receipt for it when he cleaned out my Grandpa's desk.) Grandpa had a plumbing business and a Skelly garage and used the truck extensively for picking up supplies.
My Dad took his driver's test with the truck in 1957. The brake lights didn't work so when it came time for the pre-test inspection, and the fellow giving the test told Dad to step on the brake, he just turned on the parking lights. The man yelled "Okay!" and Dad proceeded to pass his test.
The truck was last licensed in 1978 but Grandpa still used it occasionally around his farm. In the late '80s, I took it to high school to replace the master cylinder. not long after that, it was parked in the shed and wouldn't move under it's own power again.
In the fall of 2001 when I pulled the truck out of the shed to get ready for Grandpa's auction, I discovered the engine had seized. That didn't discourage me so I bought it, squirted a bunch of penetrating oil in the spark plug holes, and put it in storage.
Like most Minnesota trucks, the body suffered badly from the effects of salted winter roads. So I started buying parts a couple years ago and now have all of the fenders and running boards. This fall I figured the engine would be a good winter project so I pulled it out and brought it in the shop to see what was in store. I was relieved when I pulled the head and didn't find any real problems in the cylinders. After putting some tension on the flywheel and rapping the pistons with a hammer and block of wood, the cylinders moved and eventually rolled over nice and smooth. I think it was just "varnish".
So, now I'm ready fo the fun to begin. I restored a '66 Charger when I was in high school and also have a '59 Ford so I have some exposure to working with old iron. But I've already learned enough from this fine site to know I still have a lot to learn and plan on bouncing some things off of you guys who've "been there" and "done that". Sorry if my post was a little long winded.
Best regards, Shawn


Shawn

1950 3600 Pickup, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Shawn, thats a nice story and now we can feel like we know ya smile
Welcome to the Stovebolt and good luck on your truck. That was the right thing to do when you bought it.
This is THE place to be with old Chevy iron. We're all here to help.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
I loved the part about turning on the lights to disguise the brake lights that didn't work!! thumbs_up

Always good to see people from Minnesota on here. Good luck with your truck, and keep us posted on your progress.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Hi Shawn. Nice story. I used to live just outside Lake City (South of Red Wing) years ago.

I too have a 1950 3600, but not with the story you have.

Welcome and look forward to seeing some pics of it.



David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Welcome Shawn, lots of history there. Hope you can get her running and looking good again. Be sure to ask if you have any questions.

Leo

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll try to post updates and figure out how to link some pics. Shawn


Shawn

1950 3600 Pickup, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 231
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 231
MN salt really does a number on a truck after 60 years both my trucks one to fix up and one for parts both had pretty bad rust especially around the fenders

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
Welcome aboard- lots of good folks on here to help- best of luck with your project

Ken


1946 Chevrolet 2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix of the '46 on Photobucket

1954 Chev 1/2-ton
3 Farmalls
4 John Deeres
1 Oliver
1955 DeSoto Fireflite

I'm pullin for ya. We're all in this together -- Red Green

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0