The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (MickeyP, Cletus1950, 78buckshot, Nick in Manitou), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#815063 01/10/2012 5:08 AM
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Searching through the forums, I didn't find a reference about installing front and rear sway bars on a '62. Ideally, I'd like to use junkyard parts, but if all else fails, I will go aftermarket. Has anyone else made this addition? Suggestions are appreciated.
_________________________
Bill


'62 Chevy C10 Short Bed Step Side, 235 Six with Offy intake, 2 carter/weber 2bbls and Fenton headers. B-W T5 5 speed trans, with stock rear end.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Using after market with good results. Improved handling a bunch.

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Where did you find a front bar for a '62?


'62 Chevy C10 Short Bed Step Side, 235 Six with Offy intake, 2 carter/weber 2bbls and Fenton headers. B-W T5 5 speed trans, with stock rear end.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
I'm waiting to get the second prototype from my manufacturer, for a bolt-on '60-'62 front sway bar.

To my knowledge, nobody makes one otherwise.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458
I'd be interested in one!


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Ok, you might want to know what I ultimately did. I ordered the sway bar kit from LMC truck for my application; this included both front and rear bars. We had to fab and weld in two 2X2 square stock blocks on the front lower framerails that served as spacers to allow us to mount the front sway bar to the frame. Though welded on, we also through-bolted the sway bar mounts through the spacers and frame. It resulted in a very clean and functional installation. On the rear, we originally used the supplied bolts and sleeves and it all bolted right up. However, since we had lowered the truck about 3 inches all around, the rear sway bar bolts hung down dangerously. We picked up shorter bolts, shortened the sleeves and put it all back together. The overall change in handling is nothing short of miraculous! The truck is buttoned down front to rear on the highway and the handling in the twisties is superb. I had terrible understeer and lean and now I have an approximate 2~3 degree lean and I can make it easily over steer with the throttle. FUN!!! This is by far the single best mod I've made to my truck.


'62 Chevy C10 Short Bed Step Side, 235 Six with Offy intake, 2 carter/weber 2bbls and Fenton headers. B-W T5 5 speed trans, with stock rear end.
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 56
L
creating memories
creating memories
L Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 56
Very nice! I'd like to do the same, any pictures of the front installation? I'm getting ready to make an order from LMC, just may have to add the sway bar kit.

Thanks
Larry

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Larry's62
Very nice! I'd like to do the same, any pictures of the front installation? I'm getting ready to make an order from LMC, just may have to add the sway bar kit.

Thanks
Larry

Larry,
Hold that order and send me a PM. I have a deal for you on a set that I cannot use. Same set that LMC sells.

Jay

Last edited by Lugnutz; 05/21/2013 11:32 PM.
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
I will have the truck on the lift tomorrow and I'll make and upload photos on the sway bar installations. I think you'll all like how it worked out. I'll also be uploading photos of my new full flow oil system piping. I would also add that part of the reason that we had to install the 2X2 spacers is that we also installed a "71 C10 Power Steering Gearbox and pump on the stock '62 steering shaft. The additional length of the Power Steering Gearbox necessitated the extra 2 inches. If you're sticking with standard "Armstrong" steering, you can probably forget about the 2X2 spacers. I hope this explains what I did, why and what the results were.


'62 Chevy C10 Short Bed Step Side, 235 Six with Offy intake, 2 carter/weber 2bbls and Fenton headers. B-W T5 5 speed trans, with stock rear end.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

brad got his next prototype, mounted and ran on his truck :

Sway bars for '60-62: I DID IT!! Woo-Hoo!

They should be ready in the fall sometime.

One photo and some details there.

-W

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 46
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 46
If you are frugal and have access to a welder you can easily fab supports on the front frame rail as mentioned before and weld a plate on each lower A arm. I used a front sway bar from a early 80's Blazer I think. It is 1 1/8" and made a huge difference. I paid $10 for it at a swap meet. Just make some measurements to make sure it will hit the A arm where you want it.
Rear sway bar came off a 3/4 ton dually where it bolted on to the rear axle and faces forward. I drilled the frame and used some early Mustang front connectors for it. Total cost was maybe $50.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Yup, as Woog said, I've got a prototype front bar on my '61 Suburban. This bar was custom designed for our '60-'62 Chevy and GMC torsion bar front suspensions.
This fits with the tight turning radius of our trucks, and full suspension travel.
It requires no welding, just four holes drilled in the frame for the saddle mounts.

I'm working for the money right now to get a batch ordered.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0