| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,386 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 48 | Hi Guys I am thinking about having the engine rebuilt in my 54 one ton chevy truck any thing i should think about? It has 80.000 miles on original engine and shuld s guy have the trans gone thur at the same time? Thanks Tonyhttp://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa359/crockbuyer/006-1.jpg | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 433 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 433 | What size engine 235 or 261 ? Have you looked up the engine cast # to verify what year engine ? 1954 chevy one ton Pics
1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 48 | no but will do nice work on your truck! I was told to rebuild the motor it would not hold up to high speeds 65 70 mph I was thinking about puting on Langton cast iron intake and headers but will see waht the thoughts on rebuild first Tony | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | "I was told to rebuild the motor it would not hold up to high speeds 65 70 mph . . . "
With standard equipment in your one-ton, the engine would be turning about 3,645 RPM at 65 MPH (3,925 RPM at 70 MPH).
That would even strain a carefully rebuilt 1954 235 engine.
Before you rebuild your motor, have you checked the oil pressure and the compression?
If you plan on driving it at 65-70 MPH, will you be changing the transmission/rear-end?
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | If you are planning on driving it that fast, you may want to look into suspension and brake upgrades as well. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 48 | thanks for all the tips on rebuild | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 235 | I have the original 216 in my 50 1 ton. Oddly enough it has been great except for the blown head gasket and the 8" crack in the block... Things I'd suggest. If you are going to drive it in modern day traffic. Go through the whole brake system. Change the gearing in the rear end. I put 4.10 gears in mine and the difference between that and the original 5.14 gears is awesome. I get decent fuel mileage and i can talk to passengers without screaming. Currently I'm building a slightly tuned 261 with dual carbs and Fenton headers a 254 cam polished and balanced rods and pistons and a rebuilt head. My truck is a daily driver. So consider what you are going to be doing with it. Jeremy | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I must stand corrected. I should read before I reply. I was under the assumption that the early trucks had a powerglide option. I did not realize the hydramatic was offered in the early trucks. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I think I replied to the wrong post. Guess I shouldn't have more than one window open at a time. | | |
| |
| |