Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,111 Posts1,056,244 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#81281 08/08/2007 11:20 PM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 13 | Hello. I'm rebuilding my carburetor (Zenith), and I'm wondering if I should install the new gaskets dry, or should I use Permatex or some other sort of gasket treatment? | | |
#81282 08/08/2007 11:32 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | No! do not put any thing on them . They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#81283 08/09/2007 1:12 AM | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | I am unaware of any carburetor gasket on any carburetor on which gasket treatment should be used.
Some of the original gaskets were to the soaked in denatured alcohol prior to use, but never sealer of any kind.
Jon. Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | |
#81284 08/09/2007 1:50 PM | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | DEFINATELY NO !...do not put any type of sealer on the gaskets ... | | |
#81285 08/11/2007 5:14 AM | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 202 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 202 | | | |
#81286 08/24/2007 2:40 AM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2005 Posts: 45 | Like everybody says, no sealer, but also FLAT and CLEAN. Do not over tighten the screws. Most leaks are the result of someone over tightening the screws. You can sometimes true up warped surfaces by laying a large pc. of fine grit sandpaper on a hard flat surface (like glass) and rubbing the gasket surface on the carb around in circles on the sandpapper. This meathod lets you see what is flat and what is not. Of coarse this only works if the carb does not have anything which sticks up past the gasket surface. Then clean the surface with a little solvent and screw together, but don't over tighten. | | |
#81287 08/24/2007 10:22 AM | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 23 | And Whatever you do. Do not stick a screw driver or putty knife in a gap and try to pry the Carb apart. You will marr the aluminum and it will leak at that spot.
Old Fart I have done exactly what you are talking about before it is very Effective for trueing up the surface. | | |
#81288 08/24/2007 2:09 PM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | SuperDuke, ya gonna let us in on your secret for spliting the carb halves apart if you don't wedge any thing between them? Here's what I do if I have a really tough one that simply refuses to seperate. I've used blocks of wood that I cut to the proper heigth and brace one end on a base plate that I bolt the throttle body down to and then use a pry bar of sorts between the upper end and a pry point on the air horn. I try to use a piece of aluminum between the pry bar and the zinc when ever possable. Denny G
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#81289 08/24/2007 6:36 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | Denny,
I just pull off the screws and put it in the freezer for a while, and then pull it out and give it a slight twist and tap. Has worked every time so far.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#81290 08/24/2007 8:11 PM | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 23 | A freezer???? Dude, you are my hero! Thats ingenious! Up till now I have always tried to simply pull with my hands while tapping on the base with a softblow hammer. But the freezer is up next!
Wife- Why does the ice smell like gasoline? | | |
#81291 08/24/2007 11:14 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | That makes way too much sense! :hammering: :hammering:
Don My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | |
#81292 08/25/2007 4:40 AM | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | Zip lock bags were invented to keep the ice from tasting like gasoline :p Jon. Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | |
| |