The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (rfs56trk, WingWright, Jon G, Rusted Nut, Woodcmiami), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,260
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 13
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 13
Hello. I'm rebuilding my carburetor (Zenith), and I'm wondering if I should install the new gaskets dry, or should I use Permatex or some other sort of gasket treatment?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
No! do not put any thing on them .


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
I am unaware of any carburetor gasket on any carburetor on which gasket treatment should be used.

Some of the original gaskets were to the soaked in denatured alcohol prior to use, but never sealer of any kind.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
DEFINATELY NO !...do not put any type of sealer on the gaskets ...


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 202
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 202
AMEN! DRY!!!!!!!!!!

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
Like everybody says, no sealer, but also FLAT and CLEAN. Do not over tighten the screws. Most leaks are the result of someone over tightening the screws. You can sometimes true up warped surfaces by laying a large pc. of fine grit sandpaper on a hard flat surface (like glass) and rubbing the gasket surface on the carb around in circles on the sandpapper. This meathod lets you see what is flat and what is not. Of coarse this only works if the carb does not have anything which sticks up past the gasket surface. Then clean the surface with a little solvent and screw together, but don't over tighten.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
And Whatever you do. Do not stick a screw driver or putty knife in a gap and try to pry the Carb apart. You will marr the aluminum and it will leak at that spot.

Old Fart I have done exactly what you are talking about before it is very Effective for trueing up the surface.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
SuperDuke, ya gonna let us in on your secret for spliting the carb halves apart if you don't wedge any thing between them?
Here's what I do if I have a really tough one that simply refuses to seperate. I've used blocks of wood that I cut to the proper heigth and brace one end on a base plate that I bolt the throttle body down to and then use a pry bar of sorts between the upper end and a pry point on the air horn. I try to use a piece of aluminum between the pry bar and the zinc when ever possable.
Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Denny,

I just pull off the screws and put it in the freezer for a while, and then pull it out and give it a slight twist and tap. Has worked every time so far.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
A freezer???? Dude, you are my hero! Thats ingenious!
Up till now I have always tried to simply pull with my hands while tapping on the base with a softblow hammer.
But the freezer is up next!

Wife- Why does the ice smell like gasoline?

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
That makes way too much sense! :hammering: :hammering:

Don


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Zip lock bags were invented to keep the ice from tasting like gasoline :p grin

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0