The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Rusty Rod), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
A local scrapper had a 66 GMC on the rollback today. I bought it for $400. Same as scrap price it will weigh 4000 lbs. It is pretty rusty has a six and a factory granny four speed &leaf springs on the rear. Kinda rare for a 1/2 ton. I filed the points and hooked a gas line to the carb. it fired up and ran really well no smoke or blow by. I drove it around a little bit. Any road it has a lot of good parts. the glass is all good also.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Sharp eye. Sounds restoreable and the engine runs good! Lots of possibilities. Sleep on it and let us know what you decide.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by OldWolf
A local scrapper had a 66 GMC on the rollback today. I bought it for $400. Same as scrap price it will weigh 4000 lbs. It is pretty rusty has a six and a factory granny four speed &leaf springs on the rear. Kinda rare for a 1/2 ton. I filed the points and hooked a gas line to the carb. it fired up and ran really well no smoke or blow by. I drove it around a little bit. Any road it has a lot of good parts. the glass is all good also.


Great save...I am not sure about the rare part, but a nice acquistion, for a good price, indeed.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
Ive got a couple dozen of the 60 thru 66 trucks. this is the only half ton Ive ever seen with a factory granny four speed. I got several 3/4 tons with the granny 4 speeds. Its quite common for the GMC,s to have the rear leaf springs. But not all GMC,s have rear leaf springs Ive owned a few GMC,s with rear coil springs. I like the rear leaf trucks because you can easily install a 73 up 5 hole rear and get taller gears. you can use the whole 73 up front assembly and upgrade to disk brakes also. Ill probably use the truck like it is for a firewood hauler woods truck this winter and part it out next spring.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
I have 30+ and several of them have the SM420 4-speed. I owned a '66 C10 in 1983 with one and I have owned several since. Although there are no production numbers indicating the engine, tranny & gear ratio, based on what I have seen there were many with the 3-speed column shift and 4-speed floor shift, relative to the low number of automatic colunm shift trucks.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
I agree with Tony, have seen alot of 4 on the floors in 1/2tons. The 2 speed powerglide auto is the harder trans to find in my opinion. But either way, great job on saving the truck and how about some pics?


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
Ive got a few with the powerglide auto, two 66 GMC,s a 60 chev and two 64,s The 60 was a 283 with PG auto and big back glass short wide bed but no crome. I also have two 66 3/4 tons that have the 3 speed turbo 400. one of then has the factory air & factory power steering and both have power brakes. I just took a stroll out back and got a accurate count there are 33 60 thru 66 trucks and about half would be good projects. Three I plan to keep. Im going to reduce the hoard greatly in the next year. Ive got a digital camera but I dont know how to post pictures. I live a the Junction of Hwy 90 & 93 11 miles west of pocahontas ark. There is a satelite view on google earth.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
Very cool, Ill have to check that out. Im sure the site moderator could help get the pics posted.


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Good save on the GMC.

It seems about 95% of the time when I see a nice '60 to '66 1/2 Ton for sale, it will have a 3-Speed. I love to see a Granny Gear 4-Speed in 1/2 Ton. I've even had the problem of finding 3/4 Ton's with a 3-Speed. I usually pass on those. Switching over would really be no problem except for the Floor Hump. That usually stops me from proceeding on it. If I switch mine over, I'll most likely go with a car 4-Speed with a low first.

Bill


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 51
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 51
Lets see it !

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill
Good save on the GMC.

It seems about 95% of the time when I see a nice '60 to '66 1/2 Ton for sale, it will have a 3-Speed. I love to see a Granny Gear 4-Speed in 1/2 Ton. I've even had the problem of finding 3/4 Ton's with a 3-Speed. I usually pass on those. Switching over would really be no problem except for the Floor Hump. That usually stops me from proceeding on it. If I switch mine over, I'll most likely go with a car 4-Speed with a low first.

Bill
Ive changed a few over from collum shift to granny low 4 speed. the problem with me is the drive shafts. truck 4 speeds need a slip yoke drive shaft and a center carrier bearing. Im thinking about installing a 73 up front and rear on this newly aquired trucks frame and swapping on a better cab & bed.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0